TRIO SSS Temporary Retention Coordinator
Grade:Temporary Staff Grade 78
Administrative Unit:University of Alaska Anchorage
School/Business unit:UAA Office of the Provost
Categories: Academic Advising/Student Support & Services
Student Support Services (SSS) is a federally-funded TRIO program that serves 160 limited income, first generation college students, and/or students who experience disabilities at the University of Alaska Anchorage. The Retention Coordinator is the main source of academic, personal, and career guidance for SSS participants.
|Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
- Passion for higher education and student success.
- Strong knowledge of University programs, policies and procedures, and campus support services.
- Knowledge of Federal Financial Aid application and process.
- Demonstrated experience in working with individuals from diverse academic, cultural, and economic backgrounds.
- Exceptional customer service and interpersonal skills, including active listening skills and a willingness to initiate dialogue.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Sound professional judgement and discretion, capacity to maintain the strictest of confidentiality.
- Periodic after-hour and weekend service delivery is required.
- Excellent computer skills with various software programs to include databases, spreadsheets, and word processing programs (Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Google).
- Experience with Banner and StudentAccess preferred, or ability to be trained within one month of hire.
- Ability to work independently and as a team member in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to plan and organize on both a daily and long-term basis.
- Demonstrated ability to build relationships, network, and work effectively with a campus community and community organizations.
- Demonstrated commitment to the goals and objectives of TRIO Student Support Services.
|Preferred Experience & Education:
Experience working with the target population (first generation and low income students, including students who experience a disability) in a higher education setting. At least three years of relevant experience in academic advising, counseling, or coaching. Experience facilitating groups. Experience with various learning strategies, student development, advising techniques, and assessment. Experience contributing to a pervasive workplace culture of respect, advocacy, and engagement.
|Required Experience & Education:
Bachelor's degree is required preferably in education, counseling, psychology, social work, or related field from a post-secondary institution whose institutional accreditation is recognized by the U.S. Department of Education and/or the Council on Higher Education Accreditation.
This is a full-time, 11 month temporary staff position. This position pay at a grade 78 step 4 ($24.43), outlined in the UA temporary staff salary schedule,
|Special Instructions to Applicants:
Please attach a resume, cover letter, and the names and contact information for three (3) professional references with your application.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until a successful candidate is identified.
Review of application materials will begin immediately. Search and selection procedures will be closed when a sufficient and viable number of qualified candidates have been identified.
*To be eligible for this position, applicants must be legally authorized to work in the United States without restriction. Applicants who now or may in the future require visa sponsorship to work in the United States are not eligible.
The University of Alaska (UA) is responsible for providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities throughout the applicant screening process. If you need assistance in completing this application or during any phase of the interview process, please contact UA Human Resources by phone at 907-450-8200.
UA is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer, educational institution and provider and prohibits illegal discrimination against any individual: www.alaska.edu/nondiscrimination.
The successful applicant is required to complete a background check. Any offer of employment is contingent on the background check.
Your application for employment with the University of Alaska is subject to public disclosure under the Alaska Public Records Act.
If you have any questions regarding this position, please contact Meagan Sullivan, TRIO HR Coordinator, at email@example.com or 907786-4829.
Advertised: Alaskan Daylight Time
Applications close: Alaskan Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend