Classification:Information Systems Professional 4A
Work type:On Campus, Staff Full-time
Administrative Unit:University of Alaska Fairbanks
School/Business unit:UAF Vice Chancellor for Research
Categories: Information Systems/Technology, Research/Science
The UAF Environmental Support Services unit will provide developmental planning and environmental services to Fort Wainwright in accordance with the recently signed Intergovernmental Support Agreement (IGSA). One of the required services in accordance with the agreement is a dedicated full-time GIS professional to provide a broad range of GIS products.
|Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
- Experience with Department of Defense GIS data models and standards
- Clearly communicate technical ideas, whether to other technical peers or non-technical project managers
- Learn new technologies, work independently, and quickly turnaround maps and other deliverables
- Compile, attribute, edit and maintain data in geographic and operational databases and their associated documentation
- Assist in establishing and maintaining GIS database quality control and quality assurance procedures
- Develop automated scripts, tools or programs with common language programming languages including but not limited to Python, SQL, Java, C#, and Visual Basic
- Manage GIS data within spatial and non-spatial databases
- Use environmental data and support development of applications for visualization, analysis, and presentation of environmental data
- Knowledge of DoD systems, procedures, policies, and processes.
|Preferred Experience & Education:
- 1-5 years of experience working in informational technology, computer science, geography, physical/natural sciences or other related fields such as natural resource management or conservation, environmental sciences
- Strong written verbal communication skills
- Scientific field work, small groups, inclement weather conditions, operate ATVs and 4x4 vehicles, travel in aircraft
- Ability to use Google suite of tools and Microsoft software
- Ability to develop a working relationship with the University of Alaska Fairbanks
- Demonstrated experience working in the DoD/U.S. Army environment
- Experience in managing cultural and natural resource survey data with GIS
- At least two years of experience with cultural and/or natural resource management on military lands
- Working knowledge of cultural and/or natural resource-related regulatory policy
- Experience with Department of Defense GIS data models and standards (e.g. Air Force Spatial Data Standards for Facilities, Infrastructure, and Environment [SDSFIE]; Federal Geographic Data Committee's [FGDC] Content Standard for Digital Spatial Metadata [CSDGM])
- Experience using GPS devices or ArcGIS Field Maps
- Experience in conducting scientific field work in austere conditions/data collection
- Experience operating/maintaining 4 x 4 trucks, ATVs, snow machines and other field equipment
|Required Experience & Education:
- Bachelor’s Degree and experience in a relevant field (geographic information systems, geography, information technology, computer science, physical science/natural sciences, natural resources, environmental sciences, or closely related field that required equivalent coursework in geographic information systems, OR an equivalent combination of training and experience
- Experience in ArcGIS (ArcMap 10.x and ArcPro 2.x), Survey123, and ArcGIS Online
- Experience in managing complex ArcGIS geodatabases; such as feature class development, relationship classes, and completion of metadata
- Experience preparing end-user documentation (how-to guides, standard operating procedures, etc.)
- Proficiency in Microsoft 365 Office apps and cloud services (Teams, SharePoint, OneDrive, etc.)
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to pass a background check
- The successful candidate must be legally authorized to work in the U.S. by the proposed start date
- Ability to access military installations in Alaska and obtain a Common Access Card (CAC)
- Possession of a valid driver’s license or the ability to obtain one.
This is a full-time, exempt staff position complete with both a competitive salary and full employee benefits package. New hires will be placed on the UA staff salary schedule, Grade 81, based on education and experience.
|Special Instructions to Applicants:
Please attach a resume, cover letter, and the names and contact information for three (3) professional references with your application.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until a successful candidate is identified. Review of application materials will begin immediately. Search and selection procedures will be closed when a sufficient and viable number of qualified candidates have been identified
This position is a term-funded position and is reviewed annually for contract renewal at the University's discretion.
*To be eligible for this position, applicants must be legally authorized to work in the United States without restriction. Applicants who now or may in the future require visa sponsorship to work in the United States are not eligible.
The University of Alaska (UA) is responsible for providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities throughout the applicant screening process. If you need assistance in completing this application or during any phase of the interview process, please contact UA Human Resources by phone at 907-450-8200.
UA is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer, educational institution and provider and prohibits illegal discrimination against any individual: www.alaska.edu/nondiscrimination.
The successful applicant is required to complete a background check. Any offer of employment is contingent on the background check.
Your application for employment with the University of Alaska is subject to public disclosure under the Alaska Public Records Act.
If you have any questions regarding this position, please contact Kenna Metivier, Signers’ Business Office Assistant HR Manager, at email@example.com or 907-474-1847.
Advertised: Alaskan Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend