Classification:Library Technician 3
Work type:On Campus, Staff Full-time
Administrative Unit:University of Alaska Southeast
School/Business unit:UAS Ketchikan Campus Director
Categories: Library/Physical/Social Sciences, Office/Clerical
The Ketchikan Campus Library is looking for a new Library Assistant to help operate and promote library resources and services to the University of Alaska Southeast and Ketchikan community. The position is 10 months at 40 hours per week, and 2 months at 20 hours per week.
10Other duties as assigned to include but not limited to:
- Help train and lead student workers.
- Assumes responsibility for the operation of the Campus Library in the absence of the Library Manager as needed.Essential
- Performs advanced reference interviews and assists patrons in obtaining requested information and materials.
- Prepares finding aids for specific subjects.Essential
- Helps plan, prepare, and facilitate library department programs including the Ask UAS speaker series.
- Creates displays and uses social media accounts to publicize programs and promote collections.
- Handles library community relations activities relating to library and USDA Featured and other collections.
- Assists with creating material for and maintaining the Campus Library website.
- Periodically writes book reviews or library-related columns.Essential
40Library Services: Under the supervision of the Library Manager, performs circulation, serials, and collection development duties including:
- Registers borrowers, circulates library materials, maintains circulation records, collects fees, handles requests, processes and mails items from the Alaska Library Catalog (ALC) using the SirsiDynix Integrated Library System.
- Processes interlibrary loan requests from UAS students, faculty, and staff via Egan Library’s CLIO software.
- Maintains the serials collection.
- Assists with review of collection holdings and communicates with faculty to compile suggestions for collection development.
- Processes new and repairs damaged books.Essential
|Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
||- Experience in customer service.
- Ability to work with a diverse group of people.
- Experience working with computers and software applications.
- High ability to communicate both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to gain proficiency quickly with library technology.
- Ability to organize and prioritize work.
- Ability to perform day-to-day responsibilities with discretion or independence.
- Ability to interpret and apply library procedures and methods.
- Ability to provide advanced customer support to patrons.
- Experience using the SirsiDynix Integrated Library System.
- Experience using Library databases such as EbscoHost, ProQuest, JSTOR, etc.
One year of experience working in a library or school setting.
Preferred: One year of experience working in an academic library.
|Required Education or Training:
Preferred: Bachelor’s degree or higher.
This is a full-time, 12-month, non-exempt staff position complete with both a competitive salary and full employee benefits package. New hires will be placed on the UA staff salary schedule, Grade 76, based on education and experience.
|Special Instructions to Applicants:
Please attach a resume, cover letter, and the names and contact information (email address and phone number) for three (3) professional references with your application.
The review process for applications will be begin on October 24, 2022. Please submit your application before the review date to ensure priority consideration. The position remains open until filled.
*To be eligible for this position, applicants must be legally authorized to work in the United States without restriction. Applicants who now or may in the future require visa sponsorship to work in the United States are not eligible.
The University of Alaska (UA) is responsible for providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities throughout the applicant screening process. If you need assistance in completing this application or during any phase of the interview process, please contact UA Human Resources by phone at 907-450-8200.
UA is an AA/EO employer and educational institution and prohibits illegal discrimination against any individual: www.alaska.edu/nondiscrimination
The successful applicant is required to complete a background check. Any offer of employment is contingent on the background check.
Your application for employment with the University of Alaska is subject to public disclosure under the Alaska Public Records Act.
If you have any questions regarding this position, please contact University of Alaska HR at 907-450-8200.
Advertised: Alaskan Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend