Library Student Assistant AY 2022-2023
Classification:Student Assistant 1
Grade:Student Assistant 1
Work type:On Campus, Student Employee
Administrative Unit:University of Alaska Southeast
School/Business unit:UAS Library
Categories: Library/Physical/Social Sciences, Office/Clerical
UAS is currently seeking applicants for Student Library Assistants! We schedule your desk shifts around your course load. No previous library experience is required - full on-the-job training! This is a great opportunity to work up to 20 hours per week on campus while going to school!
100%- Perform circulation desk responsibilities for opening and closing procedures of library.
- Welcome patrons to Egan Library and perform all circulation desk related duties:
assisting locating items, checking library materials in and out, renewing items, reserving rooms, and connecting patrons with other resources and staff as needed.
- Provide basic UAS campus directional and informational assistance to all patrons and be knowledgeable about full range of library services.
- Use discretion and respect confidentiality while using library system software to confirm current status of patron accounts, enter information for new library cards, update personal contact information, extend or limit privileges, add authorization notes for electronic equipment use, and receive and process payments for library bills.
- Open & process incoming mail/ package & appropriately package/address outgoing.
- Keep circulation & mail work areas clean, organized, & stocked with forms and supplies.
- Answer phones in a professional, courteous manner, addressing caller needs or transferring them to appropriate staff for further assistance.
- Proactively approach and offer to assist patrons near or at Circulation Desk and others throughout library who may appear to need assistance.
- Scan to check-in, and re-shelve items when returned: books, DVD’s, CD’s, periodicals, etc. Prepare daily holds requests report, locate and make available to patrons by processing to hold shelf or routing to courier bags or mailing. Notify patrons without email by phone of the arrival of requested materials.
- Perform office tasks including photocopying, word processing, laminating & scanning.
- Show patrons how to use library equipment such as audio conveners, photocopier, printer and fax.
- Shelf-read & shelf-shift to insure materials are in proper sequence and position.
- Answer patron questions regarding library fines/fees. Provide payment options.
- Assist with special projects including collection management, interlibrary loan materials collection and copying, and helping with displays and special events support as requested by various library staff, with task priorities set by Circulation Supervisor.
- Engage in ongoing policy and instructional updates, initialing acknowledgement.
- Once proficient at position’s various tasks, assist with training of new student assistants.
- Attend student worker meetings and training opportunities.
- Communicate patron, staff or facility problems needing supervisory attention promptly through proper channels, documenting incidents of concern as needed.
- Support co-worker students by substituting for each other as course schedules and work-loads allow. Be flexible as possible with schedules as adjustments are needed to accommodate student team- member’s life demands and cover library operating hours.
- Be open to receive training for and perform other duties as assigned.Essential
As a public, regional, comprehensive university, UAS is committed to building a culturally diverse and inclusive organization and strongly encourages women, minorities, individuals with disabilities, and veterans to apply. All interested persons should apply online.
Located in the ancestral homeland of the Tlingit, Haida and Tsimshian peoples, the University of Alaska Southeast (UAS) is fully committed to advancing the education and research aspirations of Indigenous peoples and is committed to ongoing work toward decolonization. These efforts are reflected in our UAS programs and formal community partnerships across our three campuses and throughout all of Southeast Alaska.
This is a part-time Student Assistant 1 ($10.34/hourly) position during the academic year.
Skills and Abilities:
Enthusiasm to provide excellent customer service to all: students, faculty and community members. Communicates clearly and has a friendly, welcoming demeanor. Must have a positive work ethic, be very reliable and maintain complete confidentiality of patron records. Attention to detail and ability to follow instruction, rules and procedures. Should be a collaborative
problem solver and positive team member. Needs to be self-motivated to work independently with intermittent supervision. Willingness to provide primary coverage of front circulation desk. Flexibility to assist on multiple assigned projects throughout library under various library staff. Ability to be trained for competency with library circulation software. Capable of learning both the Library of Congress and Dewey Decimal item identification and location systems and use for accurate shelving and retrieval of library materials.
Type of Employment:
This recruitment is open to University of Alaska students only. To be eligible for consideration, students must maintain enrollment and regular attendance for a minimum of at least 6 undergraduate credit hours or 6 graduate credit hours to be exempt from FICA (Social Security and Medicare) tax. A credit hour load below the minimum required for full-time student status will require the withholding of FICA tax (non-resident aliens on an appropriate visa who meet student employment criteria will continue to be exempt from FICA regardless of credit hour load). While in a student position, a student cannot hold any other type of simultaneous employment with the university.
Qualified applicants should be enrolled in a minimum of 6 credits in the current semester OR for summer employment, enrolled in at least 6 credits in the proceeding fall semester. Minimum 2.0 cumulative GPA.
Please attach a resume, cover letter, and the names and contact information (email and phone number) for three (3) references. Applications will be reviewed on an as-needed basis.
Reasonable Accommodation Statement:
The University of Alaska (UA) is responsible for providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities throughout the applicant screening process. If you need assistance in completing this application or during any phase of the interview process, please contact UA Human Resources by phone at 907-450-8200.
Affirmative Action Statement:
UA is an AA/EO employer and educational institution and prohibits illegal discrimination against any individual: www.alaska.edu/nondiscrimination
Pursuant to Board of Regents’ Policy 04.01.055.B, temporary, extended temporary, adjunct, student, casual labor, regular new hire probationary employees and those positions designated by the president as officers and senior administrators of the university are employed at-will.
The successful applicant is required to complete a background check. Any offer of employment is contingent on the background check.
Public Disclosure Statement:
Your application for employment with the University of Alaska is subject to public disclosure under the Alaska Public Records Act.
University of Alaska is a Drug-Free Workplace.
University of Alaska campuses are Tobacco-Free.
It is the policy of the University of Alaska (UA) that all employees are required to complete training to meet the requirements of the positions they hold, and to complete the required training within a specified period to remain employed at the UA.
If you have any questions regarding this position, please contact Janna Machalek, UAS HR Coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org or (907) 796 - 6273.
Advertised: Alaskan Daylight Time
Applications close: Alaskan Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend