Digital content creator/social media manager
Classification:Communications Specialist 4
Work type:On Campus, Staff Full-time
Administrative Unit:University of Alaska Fairbanks
School/Business unit:UAF Advancement & Outreach
Categories: Communications/Public Relations/Marketing
The digital content creator/social media manager is responsible for developing and executing social media plans, campaigns and tactics in a manner that supports institutional marketing and public relations initiatives, particularly in the areas of student recruitment, engagement, public relations and brand awareness. This position is also responsible for multimedia content production to support social media efforts.
1SOCIAL MEDIA MANAGEMENT
--Coordinate and manage UAF's social media outreach and activity on the institution’s flagship platforms at levels aligned with best practices in the industry.
--Serve as lead for UAF's social media presence. Provide guidance and oversight of social media efforts across campus.
--Serve as the university’s voice on social media platforms.
-- Curate, create, edit and proofread content for social media projects. Set and/or follow guidelines for editorial tone, style and voice of all content.
--Identify, plan and execute social media initiatives to build and increase engagement with UAF on social media platforms.
--Serve as an expert consultant on social media best practices for units and individuals throughout campus.
--Assist units throughout campus in establishing social media accounts. Serve as a secondary administrator on those accounts.
--Assist and advise university leaders in their day-to-day official social media efforts.
--Use social media listening tools to monitor online conversations and contribute content where applicable.
--Foster the use of social media as part of the teaching, research and service missions of the university.
--Monitor trends in existing social media platforms and the emergence of new platforms to ensure that UAF is appropriately represented in the social media landscape.
--Measure and track the effectiveness of UAF’s social media efforts. Make recommendations for appropriate data points for tracking to demonstrate that effectiveness.
--Identifies emerging public relations issues on social media platforms and advises departmental leadership on tactics to address issues that could affect the university's reputation.
--Serves as the lead social media manager on the UAF public information emergency response team.
--Use professional judgement in monitoring issues, comments and engagement with users.Essential
--Create multimedia content, including videos, GIFs, graphics, photos and audio pieces, for use on UAF's social platforms.
--Produce live Facebook videos and interviews in support of institutional priorities and events.
--Disseminate content to other collaborators around the university and external partners as appropriate.Essential
3PLANNING AND LEADERSHIP
--Identify social media and content creation needs and opportunities in key areas, e.g. recruitment, engagement, chancellor's communication and fundraising. Provide advice on how to incorporate social media and multimedia into larger public relations and marketing strategies.
--Identify and plan standalone social media campaigns to support UAF's public relations and marketing goals.
--Plan and lead regular in-person or virtual gatherings with campus social media platform administrators to build and maintain a coordinated approach to social media efforts.
--Work closely with University Relations staff to develop and update UAF's policies and procedures relating to multimedia content and social media platforms.
--Provide expert guidance, as needed, regarding multimedia social content used in university marketing and public relations efforts.
--Recommend methods for determining effectiveness of social media strategies
--Make budget recommendations/provide fiscal projections regarding equipment purchases, outsourcing, etc.
--Prepare activity reports on specific topics or emerging issues as requested.
--Develop and maintain a social media content calendar for the department.Essential
- Expert-level familiarity with Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn and YouTube.
- Ability to multi-task, set priorities and make decisions in real-time, as well as identify threats and opportunities within user-generated content and make quick decisions about how to address those issues.
- Create and curate content in real time and integrate that content into multiple social channels.
- Be fluent in the culture and function of multiple social media platforms and communities.
- Strong analytical, planning, forecasting and research skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Ability to work in departmental and cross-departmental teams.
- Dependable and detail-oriented
- Demonstrated proficiency in video/audio/photo editing and capture, basic graphic design, and mobile phone photo and video capabilities.
- Working proficiency in Adobe Creative Suite, Microsoft Office and Google Apps.
- Ability to work in a Mac environment
- Familiar with how to report social media metrics from a variety of platforms.
- Understanding of the UAF brand and the ability to relay it consistently across multiple social media networks.
- Experience in advertising, public relations and online marketing policies and practices.
- Basic knowledge of ICS/NIMS via training, coursework or experience.
- Working knowledge of Associated Press style and journalistic principles.
- Science communication experience or education.
- Working knowledge of social media best practices in a higher education setting.
- Ability to work flexible hours as needed to cover important events and activities
- Demonstrated experience using social media in a professional setting.
- Professional experience in marketing, public relations/affairs, journalism or communications.
REQUIRED EDUCATION OR TRAINING:
- Bachelor's degree in public relations, journalism, communications or related field and 3 years relevant experience OR an equivalent combination of training and experience.
This is a full-time, Grade 79, minimum $26.08, DOE, 12-month position complete with a competitive salary and UA employee benefits package. UA employees receive excellent benefits including participation in State of Alaska PERS retirement, 12 paid holidays per year, tuition waivers for employees and family members, and affordable medical, dental and vision care coverage.
Please attach a resume, cover letter, and the names and contact information (email and phone number) for three (3) professional references with your application.
This position is open until filled with the initial applications review taking place on May 23, 2022.
*To be eligible for this position, applicants must be legally authorized for unrestricted employment in the United States. No work visas will be sponsored for this position.
UAF COVID REQUIREMENTS:
Effective immediately, all new UAF hires, whose job function or work location results in the employee being subject to the UAF vaccine requirements guided by the Federal Contractor Employee vaccine mandate*, must be fully vaccinated with an FDA or WHO authorized or approved COVID-19 vaccine or have obtained a university-approved disability/medical or religious exemption no later than six weeks from the new hire's start date.
*Employees based on UAF’s Troth Yeddha’ (Fairbanks) campus, regardless of university affiliation and remote work status; Employees based in UAF research units outside Fairbanks (including Seward Marine Center, Kodiak Seafood and Marine Science Center, HAARP, Poker Flat, Lena Point, and Toolik Field Station); and Employees, regardless of their work location, paid by or directly working on impacted UAF federal contract.
Reasonable Accommodation Statement:
The University of Alaska (UA) is responsible for providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities throughout the applicant screening process. If you need assistance in completing this application or during any phase of the interview process, please contact UA Human Resources by phone at 907-450-8200.
Affirmative Action Statement:
UA is an AA/EO employer and educational institution and prohibits illegal discrimination against any individual: www.alaska.edu/nondiscrimination
The successful applicant is required to complete a background check. Any offer of employment is contingent on the background check.
Public Disclosure Statement:
Your application for employment with the University of Alaska is subject to public disclosure under the Alaska Public Records Act.
University of Alaska is a Drug-Free Workplace. University of Alaska campuses are Tobacco-Free.
It is the policy of the University of Alaska (UA) that all employees are required to complete training to meet the requirements of the positions they hold, and to complete the required training within a specified period to remain employed at the UA.
If you have any questions regarding this position, please contact University of Alaska HR at 907-450-8200.
Advertised: Alaskan Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend