Transfer Credit Specialist
Apply now Job no: 518128
Classification:Student Services Technician 3
Work type: Staff Full-time
Administrative Unit:University of Alaska Anchorage
School/Business unit:UAA VC Student Affairs
Categories: Student Affairs/Services
The University of Alaska Anchorage (UAA) invites applications for the position of Transfer Credit Specialist within the Office of the Registrar. UAA's Office of the Registrar is a forward-looking group working behind the scenes to identify and create innovative solutions to improve the student, faculty and staff experience at UAA. The Office of the Registrar maintains several software applications that assist in production of the university catalog, degree audits, registration, and scheduling. Applicants should appreciate the structure policies and regulation provide and be ready to operate in a fast-paced, technology-rich environment aimed at generating efficiencies. We are looking for a highly motivated, team-oriented individual with stellar organizational skills, attention to detail who is current (within the last 3-5 years) in multiple software applications and database management. Applicants are expected to address in their cover letter their current (last 3-5 years) experience and skill sets related to the use of technology and its relevancy to this position.
10 Systems testing and maintenance:
- Responsible for in-depth testing for all system upgrades and making recommendations for software corrections and enhancements.
- Actively participate in Statewide committee related to transfer and collaborate to improve overall transfer experience.
- Collaborate, cross-train with, and provide assistance to other areas within the Office of the Registrar to improve overall function of the office.
- Proactively research, analyze and test possible advances to transfer credit practices and processes, as well as self-service (UAOnline) enhancements related to transfer. Essential
15 Interpret, communicate, and provide customer service:
- Maintain current and historical knowledge of the interpretation and application of transfer credit policies and practices, and provide interpretation of academic regulations and requirements for students, faculty, staff and advisors as they pertain to transfer work. Provide regular follow up and clarification regarding catalog policy and course equivalency decisions to students, staff and advisors via phone, email and in person.
- Use this expertise in transfer credit evaluation to serve as a resource for all matters pertaining to UAA's transfer processes within the Office of the Registrar. Serve as specialist on all inquiries regarding transferability of credits, coursework, test scores, and non-traditional credit, including explaining why courses did not transfer or meet certain requirements.
- Collaborate with students and faculty to apply exchange and study abroad credits to UAA degree programs for study abroad and National Student Exchange participants. Refer students and staff appropriately for questions regarding admissions, financial aid, graduation, requests for exception, academic petitions, and other support services.
- Create and deliver trainings and presentations to students, faculty, staff and advisors on transfer credit practices and processes, transfer credit websites, national and international evaluation databases, and more.
- Monitor Registrar's Office websites related to transfer for accuracy, and address errors and recommend improvements. Contact other university departments if made aware of erroneous information on their websites specific to transfer or Registrar's Office functions/processes.
- Monitor departmental email account daily and respond to inquiries professionally and timely. Support Enrollment Services call center by fielding Registrar's Office calls from students, faculty and staff through the main line. Essential
15 Maintain records and policies:
- Maintain confidentiality of student records as required by FERPA.
- Manage an extensive archival library of historical policies and catalogs and serve as an expert resource for these archives when called upon by administrators, faculty and others.
- Provide feedback through the University Registrar to the Office of Academic Affairs regarding concerns related to transfer credit policies and integrity of practices.
- In coordination with direct supervisor, work with academic departments and the transfer evaluation teams at UAF and UAS to improve the transferability of UA coursework and ease with which students can use UA system coursework for degree completion.
- Regularly update and manage dynamic transfer credit websites/tools for students, faculty and staff, and provide reports and statistical data upon request. Essential
60 Understand, research, analyze, and evaluate transfer credit:
- This position requires detailed understanding and knowledge of university functions, admissions and graduation criterion, student petition processes, and degree structure (including a thorough understanding of grade values, systems of academic credit, course levels, prerequisites, and the individual requirements of general education, college and major/minor requirements).
- Research the accreditation, grading system, course level, and degree program contexts for each institution from which a domestic course is being evaluated.
- Using multiple resources, independently determine transfer equivalency for each course (approximately 40,000 annually) and determine UAA equivalency.
- Evaluate transfer work totaling nearly 120,000 credits/year from nearly 1000 institutions, as well as non-traditional credit sources (e.g. local credit by exam, certified experience credit, concurrent enrollment, military credit sources, etc.).
- Maintain a strong working knowledge of international credential evaluation process.
- Perform transfer credit evaluation services for the community campuses of UAA and provide expertise. Essential
Knowledge of transfer evaluation and articulation practices, grading policies and procedures, and enrollment and degree verifications in higher education. Ability to maintain a high level of confidentiality. Aptitude for learning new skills. Ability to interpret and explain policies for students, staff, faculty, and administrators. Positive attitude, strong sense of initiative and an attention to detail. Ability to establish and maintain positive, cooperative relationships with co-workers, students, faculty, staff, and others. Public speaking and conflict resolution skills. Ability to prioritize work, perform well under pressure and maintain productivity despite consistent interruptions. Knowledge of student information systems preferred, especially Banner. Ability to recognize and provide excellent customer service, make sound judgment calls, critically analyze and solve problems, multi-task, and work both independently and as part of a team. Skill in operation of modern communication tools, computers and relevant software, especially related to data entry.
A minimum of two years experience working with complex web applications, database management systems, Microsoft Excel, Microsoft Word, calendaring, email, and web browsers within the last 3-5 years is required. Familiarity with Banner, Toad/SQL and Transfer Evaluation System (TES) within the last 3-5 years is preferred. Substantial experience working with post-secondary education and programs. Prior knowledge of policies, admission requirements, student petition process, and graduation criterion or equivalent is preferred. Experience providing excellent customer service when interacting with students, faculty, staff and administrators.
Required Education or Training:
Associate degree or equivalent. Baccalaureate degree preferred. Substantial experience working in a post-secondary educational environment or equivalent customer service environment where rules and regulations are applied to individual clients/customers.
Please attach a current resume, cover letter and contact information for three professional references. Applicants are expected to address in the cover letter their current (last 3-5 years) experience and skill sets related to the use of technology and its relevancy to this position.
This is a full-time,
Grade 77, minimum $21.81 hourly, DOE, 12-month position complete with a competitive salary and UA employee benefits package. This is open until filled recruitment with the initial application review taking place on October 25th, 2021 at 8:00am Alaska Standard Time. To ensure consideration, please apply prior to the review date.
Reasonable Accommodation Statement:
The University of Alaska (UA) is responsible for providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities throughout the applicant screening process. If you need assistance in completing this application or during any phase of the interview process, please contact UA Human Resources by phone at 907-450-8200.
Affirmative Action Statement:
UA is an AA/EO employer and educational institution and prohibits illegal discrimination against any individual:
The successful applicant is required to complete a background check. Any offer of employment is contingent on the background check.
Pursuant to University Regulation 04.07.020, new employees of the University are employed in an at-will probationary status for the first six months of employment. During the probationary period, employment may be terminated for no reason or any reason. Promoted employees also serve a probationary period with limited rights of retreat.
Public Disclosure Statement:
Your application for employment with the University of Alaska is subject to public disclosure under the Alaska Public Records Act.
University of Alaska is a Drug-Free Workplace.
University of Alaska campuses are Tobacco-Free.
It is the policy of the University of Alaska (UA) that all employees are required to complete training to meet the requirements of the positions they hold, and to complete the required training within a specified period to remain employed at the UA.
If you have any questions regarding this position, please contact University of Alaska HR at 907-450-8200.
Advertised: Alaskan Daylight Time 11 Oct 2021
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend