The School of Allied Health in the College of Health at the University of Alaska Anchorage, is seeking a full-time, Term Instructor or Assistant Professor to teach Certified Nurse Aide (CNA) courses. Applicants must be a licensed registered nurse with relevant long-term care experience and prior experience in CNA education.
The University of Alaska Anchorage (UAA) Goose Lake Campus is located in Anchorage, Alaska. The attractive wooded campus, at the foot of the Chugach Mountains, serves as a cultural hub for the city. Careful development has left the campus an urban oasis with resident wildlife populations including moose, waterfowl, and birds. The College of Health (COH), one of seven UAA schools and colleges, is a major center for development and delivery of professional, career and technical, community, and continuing education programs. In keeping with the mission of the University of Alaska, COH has a commitment to innovation and flexibility insuring high quality education, and training is available to all who have the ability and interest to pursue an education or profession.
The School of Allied Health of the College of Health offers Occupational Endorsement Certificates, Undergraduate Certificates, Associate of Applied Science degrees, and Bachelor degrees.
The University of Alaska Anchorage, School of Allied Health seeks an innovative, energetic individual who will work in a collaborative teaching environment in the delivery of Certified Nurse Aide (CNA) courses within the School of Allied Health courses. The faculty member appointed to this position will provide advising to prospective and current CNA students, didactic, laboratory and clinical education to students enrolled in the CNA course.
- Didactic and/or clinical teaching experience in a certified nurse aide programs.
- Prior teaching experience, with a commitment to student-centered learning, student engagement, and teaching excellence.
- Experience leading or working in a diverse workforce in a multi-cultural setting.
- Knowledge of current AK Certified Nurse Aide scope of practice.
- Experience in student evaluation and outcomes assessment.
- Commitment to and the ability to work effectively within the scope of the College of Health mission and to work with a diverse student and staff population.
- Strong written, oral, and interpersonal communication skills.
- Computer literacy.
- Currency in contemporary nursing/nursing aide practice.
- Knowledge of contemporary curricular content for the education of the Certified Nurse Aide.
Preference will be given to applicants with:
- Successful citizen partnership skills and experience maintaining partnerships with private and public agencies and organizations, including advisory boards.
- Familiarity with Certified Nurse Aide training considerations and needs in Alaska.
- Ongoing professional development in related allied health.
- Instruction in educational theory and techniques.
- Experience with diverse student populations.
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience as an RN/LPN.
- Minimum of one-year experience working as a nurse in an acute or long-term care setting.
- Experience supervising CNAs while an RN.
- Prior experience in CNA or other nursing instructional program(s).
- Associate’s degree
- Licensure as a Registered Nurse or Licensed Practical Nurse
Assistant Professor Rank:
- Bachelor’s degree
- Licensure as a Registered Nurse or Licensed Practical Nurse
Special Conditions of Employment:
- Must be eligible to work in the United States; no work visas are available for this position.
- Provide official transcripts documenting academic credentials required for the position as well as any national and/or state credentialing documents at the start of employment.
Salary will be based upon level of applicable academic preparation and experience.
Term-Funded, Full-Time, Instructor or Assistant Professor rank, Bipartite, 9 months per year (mid-August to mid-May) and full employee benefits package (https://www.alaska.edu/jobs/benefits/)
This position is a term-funded position and is reviewed annually for contract renewal at the University's discretion.
Applicants will need to upload the following documents to their online application:
- Cover letter highlighting qualifications that meet the specific requirements of this position.
- Comprehensive resume/CV
- One-page statement explaining your experience and commitment to inclusion and equity for mentoring, advising, and teaching diverse student populations
- One-page statement about computer competency, to include description of experience with Blackboard or other online Learning Management Systems and programs in the Microsoft Office Suite
- Names and contact information of three professional references
- Copy of licensure as a Registered or Licensed Practical Nurse; or licensure, certification, or registration in states where applicable as a Registered or Licensed Practical Nurse
Review of the applications will begin on May 3, 2021. Applications received after that date may not receive our full consideration.
This position is represented by United Academic – Adjuncts, AAUP-AFT/AFL-CIO
Affirmative Action Statement:
Reasonable Accommodation Statement:
The University of Alaska (UA) is responsible for providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities throughout the applicant screening process. If you need assistance in completing this application or during any phase of the interview process, please contact UA Human Resources by phone at 907-450-8200.
The successful applicant is required to complete a background check. Any offer of employment is contingent on the background check.
Public Disclosure Statement:
Your application for employment with the University of Alaska is subject to public disclosure under the Alaska Public Records Act.
University of Alaska is a Drug-Free Workplace
It is the policy of the University of Alaska (UA) that all employees are required to complete training to meet the requirements of the positions they hold, and to complete the required training within a specified period to remain employed at the UA.
If you have any questions regarding this position, please contact University of Alaska HR at 907-450-8200.