Prince William Sound College is seeking a Term Instructor of Building & Construction Skills for the Career and Technical College at Prince William Sound College.
Prince William Sound College is located in Valdez, Alaska. It is described as a place where the mountains meet the sea. The historic Port of Valdez is a scenic and important location utilized for shipping oil, commercial and sport fishing, tourism, and is home to a Coast Guard station. This position is responsible for developing and teaching credit and non-credit Construction Technology courses and for the general effectiveness of course organization, administration, and outcomes assessment. Students who successfully complete courses may receive college credit, and any licensing or credential essential for employment in the construction workforce. The instructor will lead the development of community workshops, curriculum, high school and college student engagement, and volunteerism for construction projects.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities:
· Knowledge of and proficiency in basic home remodeling, renovation, and building skills.
· Ability to work as a team member with the University system and maintain effective working relationships with individuals and groups supporting construction projects.
· Ability to interpret and apply policies, rules and regulations
· Ability to exercise good judgment in analyzing situations and making decisions.
· Ability to safely and efficiently manage up to 10 people with varied skill levels on a job site
· Ability to handle administrative responsibilities related to teaching of courses, recruiting adjuncts and teaching assistants, and preparing reports.
· Effective oral and written communication skills, decision-making, and problem solving skills.
Education, Training, & Experience:
Associates degree in Construction Technology or closely related field from a regionally accredited college or university and at least 3 years of work experience in a position related to Construction Technology or a combination of technical training, education, and experience to meet minimum standards for a faculty position in the University of Alaska Anchorage Career and Technical College.
Substantial construction management or project management experience. Understanding of risk management policies and procedures. Experience with managing budgets for projects.
· Substantial home and/or building construction management experience.
· Experience with managing budgets for projects
· Preferred experience in adult education programs, volunteer projects, or construction crew management with on-the-job training. NCCER Certifications or other related industrial trade certifications.
This position is represented by United Academics (UNAC).
Term Position: This position is term-funded and is reviewed annually for contract renewal at the University's discretion.
Reasonable Accommodation Statement:
The University of Alaska (UA) is responsible for providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities throughout the applicant screening process. If you need assistance in completing this application or during any phase of the interview process, please contact UA Human Resources by phone at 907-450-8200.
Affirmative Action Statement:
UA is an AA/EO employer and educational institution and prohibits illegal discrimination against any individual: www.alaska.edu/nondiscrimination
The successful applicant is required to complete a background check. Any offer of employment is contingent on the background check.
Public Disclosure Statement:
Your application for employment with the University of Alaska is subject to public disclosure under the Alaska Public Records Act.
University of Alaska is a Drug-Free Workplace.
University of Alaska campuses are Tobacco-Free.
It is the policy of the University of Alaska (UA) that all employees are required to complete training to meet the requirements of the positions they hold, and to complete the required training within a specified period to remain employed at the UA.
If you have any questions regarding this position, please contact University of Alaska HR at 907-450-8200.