Dental Clinic Front Desk Specialist
Apply now Job no: 515079
Classification:Administrative Generalist 3
Work type: Staff Full-time
Administrative Unit:University of Alaska Anchorage
School/Business unit:UAA College of Health
Categories: Administrative/Personnel, Health Profession, Office/Clerical
The School of Allied of Health is seeking applications for the Dental Clinic Front Desk Specialist.
10 Fiscal Responsibilities/Budget Maintenance
* Support established policies and oversee collection of payment for services via cash, check, and UAA payment card system in collaboration with Dental Clinic faculty.
* Maintain payment documents including invoice and receipt files.
* Prepare deposits for each Dental Hygiene and Dental Assisting clinic; provide copies of daily deposits to the School of Allied Health Business Manager.
* Follow all UAA Cash Handling policies and procedures found at
* Make timely deposits with UAA Cashiering and provide copies to the School of Allied Health Business Manager.
* Identify components of the current EHR to maximize budget management capabilities; implement and utilize identified components to track clinic expenses and revenues.
* Prepare monthly budget reports/analysis and yearly projections for operation costs of Dental Assisting Clinic and Dental Hygiene Clinic.
* Make recommendations on budget allocation decisions to the School of Allied Health Business Manager.
* Reconcile Dental Clinic records with central records, make routine corrections as necessary or prepare recommendations. Essential
10 Records Management
* Utilize Dental EHR software, digital x-ray software, electronic scheduling software, Microsoft Office, and web-based resources to enter, store, research and retrieve information.
* Coordinate with the Assistant to the Business Manager with the maintenance of computers at 21 dental operatories, and 11 data retrieval stations.
* Ensure all required patient information is available to dentists, faculty and students during clinic sessions.
* Organize and maintain filing systems, including confidential and complex files of all patient care and student documentation of care provided to patients.
* File and retrieve health records, clinic reports, and digital x-rays.
* Coordinate with Dental Clinic faculty to establish policies and procedures regarding Dental Clinic records that are in compliance with all Federal, State, and University regulations/requirements, including but not limited to, HIPAA, OSHA, and UA BOR fiscal requirements. Essential
35 Office Support
* Supports established policies and procedures for the effective and efficient operation of the Dental Clinic, ensuring all compliance and regulatory requirements are met.
* Serve as liaison with Electronic Dental Health Record (EHR)/scheduling/business management/digital x-ray software representatives; coordinate software updates; assist with training of students in use of electronic records/software.
* Open, sort, distribute, collect, and deliver mail.
* Assists the Dental Clinic Support Specialist in maintaining an inventory of equipment and supplies.
* Receives supplies and equipment for the Dental Clinic in the absence of Dental Clinic Support Specialist.
* Coordinate with the Director of the School of Allied Health to maintain policies and procedures.
* Respond to complaints and routine requests for information in matters related to the Dental Clinic, under the direction of the DH & DA clinic directors and faculty.
* Verify and review materials for conformance with established regulations and procedures that relate to Dental Clinic patients and services provided by the clinic.
* Maintain training manuals for dental EHR software and procedure manual for dental clinic office.
* Troubleshoot and resolve problems that arise during day-to-day office operations, under the direction of the DH & DA clinic Directors and Faculty.
* Prepare or assist with preparation of marketing materials, brochures, flyers, or public service announcements used to promote the clinic and acquire new patients.
* Prepare Dental Clinic correspondence to patients, students, faculty and dentists, under the direction of the DH & DA Clinic directors and faculty.
* Operate and troubleshoot office equipment including computers, photocopiers, fax machines, and printers.
* Open/close dental clinic offices and maintain dental clinic reception area.
* Keep timesheet information of dentists and consultants. Acknowledge student worker and/or other front desk employee timesheets in UAOnline before the School of Allied Health Business Manager and Director’s approval. Essential
40 Dental Clinic Reception Administrative Duties
* Supervise patient check-in and check-out procedures ensuring all HIPAA
regulations are followed, and fee schedules are coordinated with faculty.
* Assist students and faculty in support of the mission and the goals of the dental academic programs; collaborate with faculty to provide a professional office setting for the students educational experience.
* Supervise and train any student worker(s) and/or any other front desk employees, when needed, and collaborate with the School of Allied Health Director on disciplinary actions.
* Coordinate front desk duties in order for the dental clinics to operate smoothly.
* Provide receptionist coverage including screen phone calls and correspondence, answer routine inquiries, provide information to patients or refer inquiries to appropriate faculty; disseminate information to patients; schedule patients for appropriate appointment in the Dental Hygiene or the Dental Assisting clinics per the guidelines established in collaboration with the respective Clinic faculty. Essential
5 Event Coordination
* Serve as Liaison/Coordinator for the WREB (Western Regional Examination Board) written and clinical exams required for licensure in the State of Alaska.
* Coordinate the use of facilities, services, and equipment for departmental activities, tours for prospective students, course-related activities that relate to the clinic, and special events.
* Assist the School of Allied Health Business Manager with fiscal issues associated with events.
* Negotiate with vendors or event planners to secure best contract terms possible.
* Support annual Dental Days event to include; advertising, assisting with screening, scheduling, and processing dental patients.
*Troubleshoot and resolve special situations that arise during event. Essential
About the University of Alaska Anchorage:The University of Alaska Anchorage (UAA) Goose Lake Campus is located in Anchorage, Alaska. The attractive wooded campus, at the foot of the Chugach Mountains, serves as a cultural hub for the city. Careful development has left the campus an urban oasis with resident wildlife populations including moose, waterfowl, and birds. The College of Health (COH), one of seven UAA schools and colleges, is a major center for development and delivery of professional, career and technical, community, and continuing education programs. In keeping with the mission of the University of Alaska, COH has a commitment to innovation and flexibility insuring high quality education, and training is available to all who have the ability and interest to pursue an education or profession.
The School of Allied Health of the College of Health offers Occupational Endorsement Certificates, Undergraduate Certificates, Associate of Applied Science degrees, and Bachelor degrees.
Excellent customer service skills, including a high level of phone etiquette and in-person reception skills.
Confidentiality and professionalism is required at all times.
Knowledge/ability to use Dental Office systems.
Knowledge of relational databases and computer programs.
Basic fiscal skills.
Ability to use computer scheduling programs.
Ability to multi-task and prioritize projects.
Ability to establish and maintain files and recordkeeping systems.
Ability to lead students and temporary staff.
Two year office/administrative experience.
Substantial clerical/reception experience in healthcare including experience with electronic health records is preferred.
Previous or recent dental office management experience including supervising and/or setting priorities for staff.
High School graduation and two year office/administrative experience, or an equivalent combination of training and experience.
Certified Dental Assistant (CDA) or Registered Dental Hygienist (RDH).
Application Procedure:To be considered for the position, applicants must upload the following documents to their online application:
Cover letter highlighting qualifications that meet the specific requirements of this position
Contact information of three professional references
Salary/Position Information: $19.34/hour minimum
Assignment Information: Grade 76 (non-exempt | hourly), Full-Time, 10 month position (mid-August to mid-June), and full employee benefits package ( https://www.alaska.edu/jobs/benefits/). This position is open until filled with the initial application review taking place on July 8, 2020. To ensure your application is considered, apply by 11:55 pm, 7/7/2020. Applications received after this date may not be considered.
Pursuant to University Regulation 04.07.020, new employees of the University are employed in an at-will probationary status for the first six months of employment. During the probationary period, employment may be terminated for no reason or any reason. Promoted employees also serve a probationary period with limited rights of retreat.
Reasonable Accommodation Statement:The University of Alaska (UA) is responsible for providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities throughout the applicant screening process. If you need assistance in completing this application or during any phase of the interview process please contact UA Human Resources by phone at 907-450-8200.
Background Check:The successful applicant is required to complete a background check. Any offer of employment is contingent on the background check.
Affirmative Action Statement:UA is an AA/EO employer and educational institution and prohibits illegal discrimination against any individual: www.alaska.edu/ nondiscrimination
Public Disclosure Statement:Your application for employment with the University of Alaska is subject to public disclosure under the Alaska Public Records Act.
University of Alaska is a Drug Free Workplace.
Training Policy:It is the policy of the University of Alaska that all employees are required to attend training to meet the requirements of the positions they hold and to complete the required training within a specified period of time to remain employed at UA.
Contact Information: If you have any questions regarding this position please contact University of Alaska HR at 907-450-8200.
Advertised: Alaskan Daylight Time 29 Jun 2020
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend