The University of Alaska is seeking four full-time DevOps Engineers to fill highly coveted growth vacancies on OIT’s Digital Platform Teams. This is a joint recruitment.
We are a dynamic and diverse team of self-directing teams looking for new members who are excited to support the University's mission through the practice of DevOps, Lean, and Agile methods. Our teams focus on the big picture of enabling life changing, cost-efficient postsecondary education that adapts to the learning needs of Alaskans and pioneering visitors from around the globe.
Actively maintains currency and effectiveness of technical skills by expanding technical and functional knowledge of University or vendor provided training and self-study.
Evolves with the product team as support requirements change.
Professionally seeks and accepts feedback of work product.
Working independently, analyzes, prioritizes and manages multiple assignments to ensure completion within expected timelines.Essential
Responsible for tracking project progress and communicating status to stakeholders and management.
Serves as an advisor for a major system and database operations or projects.
Transfers knowledge to individuals responsible for the maintenance and enhancement of the automated process including OIT staff and end users.
Documents and conducts meetings before, during and at the close of a project.
Maintains full knowledge of projects in preparation for detailed discussions with key staff and customers at various levels of expertise and understanding.
Collaborates and works with others in order to complete projects and tasks.Essential
Supports databases and associated products for ERP applications.
Coordinates with product team in order to ensure smooth delivery of ongoing maintenance and enhancement.
Performs primary systems administration and operational viability functions for application databases.
Provides support related to database upgrades, SQL database queries, exports/imports and database errors.
Develops and maintains the database environment including definition and structure, access strategies, data dictionary, schemas, views, and hardware utilization.
Provides backup support for other product team staff, as required.Essential
Analyzes the technical and functional feasibility of proposed solutions related to ERP applications.
Consults with and advises staff of complex problems, innovative approaches and new technology.
Performs technical information systems tasks requiring expertise and specialized knowledge in database and information systems.
Performs detail analysis of database and system problems requiring specialized knowledge and skills.
Serves as the database subject matter expert for the ERP product team.
Uses technical expertise to assist the ERP product team with issues across various aspects of application support.Essential
The Platform Teams have architectural stewardship over the university’s digital platforms which include cloud-based and shrinking, on-premise technology infrastructure. Shared mission objectives include creating a seamless, self-sufficient student and applicant experience by deploying always available, intuitive self-service solutions. Key to delivering on that is integration mastery to reduce the surface area of contact required of undergraduate and graduate students, faculty, research principal investigators, staff and administrators who unknowingly leverage many hundreds of specialized software applications.
The ideal candidate(s) will exhibit a market experimentation mindset for delivering on the compound key performance indicator of University of Alaska student completion in the shortest time with the lowest education debt. Candidates will embrace personal learning and highly favor teamwork to optimize university use of its digital infrastructure.
The skills / experience we’re adding to our teams through these recruitments include: administering Redhat/Centos/AWSLinux systems; administering or supporting Oracle and mysql, aurora, mongo databases; deploying application stacks to AWS cloud; creating infrastructure as code for deployment and configuration using Chef/Puppet/Ansible; using Git/Github version control; automating deployments using Jenkins/Appveyor continuous integration, continuous delivery (CI/CD) tools and methods; instrumenting, monitoring and producing statistically summarized performance metrics to ensure key performance indicators (KPIs) are improving and ensure service level agreement (SLA) targets are achieved.
We hope you are excited to meet us and learn more about these opportunities.
We are excited to meet and learn more about you.
* Working level expertise with currently available relational database management systems including, but not limited to Amazon AWS cloud Relational Database Service and Oracle.
* Knowledge of lifecycle management and technology approaches to unstructured and structured data.
* Knowledge of enterprise resource planning systems and the leverage they represent within a complex organization which locates thousands of its business processes there, processes that set the limits for and/or form the basis for the organization's customer experience.
* Demonstrable experience and proficiency utilizing software engineering principles and techniques.
* Theoretical and practical functional knowledge and skills in the development of administrative software systems using client/server and web technology.
* Evidence of a working understanding of a product team approach, including the principles of empowered self-organizing teams and the importance of preventing the need to rely on hand-offs outside the team.
* Evidence of and/or track record of exhibiting a creativity mindset in the workplace.
* Evidence of exhibiting a bias for action over analysis, market experimentation, and improvement-based risk taking.
* Evidence of a working understanding of lean thinking and an accompanying minimum viable product/feature mindset.
* A working understanding of agile methodologies including Scrum, Kanban and emerging derivatives, including but not limited to product improvement backlogs, sprint planning, stand-ups and daily scrum, user acceptance testing, customer sprint reviews and demos, team sprint retrospectives.
* Ability to help a Product Team, particularly the Product Owner/Manager with understanding each customer problem, stakeholder need or market opportunity and creating a vision of how that should be addressed.
5+ years of relevant experience in a broad range of complex software engineering projects and application software operations. DevOps experience a plus.
* Experience helping accomplish culture change in highly developed employees who work in a large, multi-division, complex organization as represented in this case by the University of Alaska System of higher education.
* Experience working in and having evidence-based understanding of an Information Technology organization, including ITIL practices.
* Experience helping accomplish organizational strategy, meaning adding the capability the organization needs for itself next to improve its standing in the market(s) in which it operates.
* Evidence-based ability to effectively address distractions, disruptions, and obstacles so that the remainder of the team is free to focus on the work of producing output that will generate the desired sprint outcome.
REQUIRED EDUCATION OR TRAINING:
* Earned Bachelors/Master's degree in a related discipline or equivalent experience.
* Current certifications for data and database management technologies and practices.
* Current certifications for Agile, Lean, Scrum and similar competencies.
* Current certifications for accomplishing organizational culture change.
This is a full-time, Grade 81 (minimum $63,565 yearly), DOE, 12-month position complete with a competitive salary and UA employee benefits package. UA employees receive excellent benefits including participation in State of Alaska PERS retirement, 12 paid holidays per year, annual and sick leave, tuition waivers for employees and family members, and affordable medical, dental and vision care coverage.
Application Deadline: Please ensure your application, resume, cover letter, and any necessary supporting documentation are submitted before June 1st, 2020 in order to be considered for this position. Applications received on or after this date may not be considered.
- To be eligible for this position, candidates must be legally authorized for unrestricted employment in the United States.
- No work visas will be sponsored for this position.
Reasonable Accommodation Statement:
The University of Alaska (UA) is responsible for providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities throughout the applicant screening process. If you need assistance in completing this application or during any phase of the interview process, please contact UA Human Resources by phone at 907-450-8200.
Affirmative Action Statement:
UA is an AA/EO employer and educational institution and prohibits illegal discrimination against any individual: www.alaska.edu/nondiscrimination
The successful applicant is required to complete a background check. Any offer of employment is contingent on the background check.
Pursuant to University Regulation 04.07.020, new employees of the University are employed in an at-will probationary status for the first six months of employment. During the probationary period, employment may be terminated for no reason or any reason. Promoted employees also serve a probationary period with limited rights of retreat.
Public Disclosure Statement:
Your application for employment with the University of Alaska is subject to public disclosure under the Alaska Public Records Act.
University of Alaska is a Drug-Free Workplace.
University of Alaska campuses are Tobacco-Free.
It is the policy of the University of Alaska (UA) that all employees are required to complete training to meet the requirements of the positions they hold, and to complete the required training within a specified period to remain employed at the UA.
If you have any questions regarding this position, please contact University of Alaska HR at 907-450-8200.