Outdoor Adventures at Nanook Recreation is looking for adventurous students to join the climbing facilities (wall and/or ice tower) team. This position will assist with climbing facilities operations including, but not limited to, assisting climbers, providing training for new and experienced climbers, wall maintenance and route setting.
Outdoor Adventures is part of the whole Nanook Recreation team, which also includes the Student Recreation Center, Patty Ice Arena and the Patty Pool.
Required to be qualified for this position:
1. A current student at the University of Alaska Fairbanks.
2. All applicants must be willing to work nights and weekends.
Knowledge, skills and abilities required for this position:
1. Ability to operate independently within departmental standards of conduct and professional expectations with proper training, awareness of risk management and safety concerns.
2. Enthusiasm, desire to learn, and desire to work as part of a team.
3. Excellent customer service skills.
4. Reasonable level of physical fitness.
5. Dependability, responsibility, and punctuality.
6. Professional attire and behavior.
7. Awareness of and appreciation for individual uniqueness and diversity.
8. Knowledge of, and/or interest in, recreation and fitness activities.
Preferred knowledge, skills or abilities for this position:
1. Background in outdoor recreation, specifically in rock and/or ice climbing
2. Ability to work during the academic year and in the summer
3. Previous experience working with and/or participating in Outdoor Adventures
4. Medical training
5. PCIA of AMGA Climbing Wall Instructor certification
1. Ability to obtain certifications in CPR, Standard First Aid, and the use of an Automated External Defibrillator.
REQUIRED EDUCATION OR TRAINING:
Knowledge of, and/or interest in, recreation and fitness activities.
SPECIAL INSTRUCTIONS TO APPLICANTS:
Complete the UA online application, attach a resume, attach a cover letter detailing any related experience or specialized skills you may have, and upload a list of three (3) references with their current phone and email contact information.
This is a Student Assistant B position
Applicants must be enrolled as UAF students taking a minimum of 6 credits per semester with a minimum GPA of 2.0 or a newly enrolled student.
This is a pooled position, which means that the position remains open over the entire academic year and students may apply for the position all year. When the department needs to fill a position, they review the current “pool” and call students for interviews. Students who were not hired for one position still remain in the pool for other positions.
Reasonable Accommodation Statement:
The University of Alaska (UA) is responsible for providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities throughout the applicant screening process. If you need assistance in completing this application or during any phase of the interview process, please contact UA Human Resources by phone at 907-450-8200.
Affirmative Action Statement:
UA is an AA/EO employer and educational institution and prohibits illegal discrimination against any individual: www.alaska.edu/nondiscrimination
Pursuant to Board of Regents’ Policy 04.01.055.B, temporary, extended temporary, adjunct, student, casual labor, regular new hire probationary employees and those positions designated by the president as officers and senior administrators of the university are employed at-will.
The successful applicant is required to complete a background check. Any offer of employment is contingent on the background check.
Public Disclosure Statement:
Your application for employment with the University of Alaska is subject to public disclosure under the Alaska Public Records Act.
University of Alaska is a Drug-Free Workplace.
University of Alaska campuses are Tobacco-Free.
It is the policy of the University of Alaska (UA) that all employees are required to complete training to meet the requirements of the positions they hold, and to complete the required training within a specified period to remain employed at the UA.
If you have any questions regarding this position, please contact University of Alaska HR at 907-450-8200