Apply now Job no: 514030
Classification:Student Assistant C
Work type: Student Employee
Administrative Unit:University of Alaska Anchorage
School/Business unit:UAA Community & Technical College
Student Support Services (SSS) Writing tutors facilitate student learning and help students better understand writing applications and assist them in revising written course work. Writing tutors will be paid as level C student employees ($10.50/hour) for up to 20 hours per week. Writing tutors support students and assist them in gaining effective study skills and maximizing their potential for their academic success.
• Follow all procedures and policies set by SSS.
• Be familiar with campus academic resources available to students. • Report immediately to the SSS Program Assistant when critical issues arise. • Submit tutoring log bi-weekly bi-weekly to the SSS Program Assistant. • Submit timesheets to the SSS Program Assistant for approval as scheduled by the UAA Payroll Office.
• Act in a professional manner, and be sensitive to and respectful of student needs.
• Be prepared and be on time. • Notify the SSS Director or Program Assistant advance if you need to reschedule or cancel a session. • Keep all information on students you work with confidential. • Support and care about student success.
• Effective communication skills.
• Earned grade of B (3.0) or higher in the selected tutoring topic. • Minimum cumulative GPA of 2.0. • Prior enrollment in the course(s) to be tutored highly desirable. • Capacity to work with students with diverse backgrounds. • Commitment to work the time promised.
NOTICE: Students must maintain enrollment and regular attendance for a minimum of at least 6 undergraduate credit hours or 6 graduate credit hours to be exempt from FICA (Social Security and Medicare) tax. A credit hour load below the minimum required for full-time student status will require the withholding of FICA tax (non-resident aliens on an appropriate visa who meet student employment criteria will continue to be exempt from FICA regardless of credit hour load). While in a student position, a student cannot hold any other type of simultaneous employment with the university.
The successful applicant is required to complete a background check. Any offer of employment is contingent on the background check.
Affirmative Action Statement:
UA is an AA/EO employer and educational institution and prohibits illegal discrimination against any individual:
Public Disclosure Statement:
Your application for employment with the University of Alaska is subject to public disclosure under the Alaska Public Records Act.
University of Alaska is a Drug Free Workplace.
Pursuant to University Regulation 04.07.020, new employees of the University are employed in an at-will probationary status for the first six months of employment. During the probationary period, employment may be terminated for no reason or any reason. Promoted employees also serve a probationary period with limited rights of retreat.
It is the policy of the University of Alaska that all employees are required to attend training to meet the requirements of the positions they hold and to complete the required training within a specified period of time to remain employed at UA.
Contact Information: If you have any questions regarding this position, please contact University of Alaska HR at 907-450-8200.
Advertised: Alaskan Standard Time 27 Nov 2019
Applications close: Alaskan Daylight Time
30 Jun 2020
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend