Science Tutor - Learning Commons
Apply now Job no: 513581
Classification:Student Assistant C
Work type: Student Employee
Administrative Unit:University of Alaska Anchorage
School/Business unit:UAA Community & Technical College
Categories: Academic Advising/Support, Education/Instructional, Research/Science/Grants
This recruitment is for a Student Assistant C Labor Pool at the University of Alaska Anchorage.
Job Summary: Science tutors facilitate student learning and help students better understand concepts or applications of science course content. Science tutors will be paid as level C student employees ($10.50/hour) for up to 20 hours per week.
Science tutors support students and assist them in gaining effective study skills and maximizing their potential for their academic success.
• Follow all procedures and policies set by the Learning Commons.
• Facilitate at least two one-hour SI study sessions per week throughout the semester. • Be familiar with campus academic resources available to students. • Report immediately to the coordinator when critical issues arise. • Submit attendance report bi-weekly to the Learning Commons Director. • Submit timesheets to the Learning Commons Director for approval as scheduled by the UAA Payroll Office.
• Act in a professional manner, and be sensitive to and respectful of student needs.
• Be prepared and be on time for each session. • Notify Learning Commons Director and students in advance if you need to reschedule or cancel an session. • Keep all information on students you work with confidential. • Support and care about student success.
• Effective communication skills.
• Earned grade of B (3.0) or higher in the selected tutoring topic. • Minimum cumulative GPA of 2.0. • Prior enrollment in the course(s) to be tutored highly desirable. • Capacity to work with students with diverse backgrounds. • Commitment to work the time promised.
Pursuant to Board of Regents’ Policy 04.01.055.B, temporary, extended temporary, adjunct, student, casual labor, regular new hire probationary employees, and those positions designated by the presidents as officers and senior administrators of the university are employed at-will.
Notice of Nondiscrimination:
The University of Alaska is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer and educational institution. The University of Alaska does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, citizenship, age, sex, physical or mental disability, status as a protected veteran, marital status, changes in marital status, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions, parenthood, sexual orientation, gender identity, political affiliation or belief, genetic information, or other legally protected status. The University's commitment to nondiscrimination, including against sex discrimination, applies to students, employees, and applicants for admission and employment. Contact information, applicable laws, and complaint procedures are included on UA's statement of nondiscrimination available at
Advertised: Alaskan Daylight Time 19 Sep 2019
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend