Assistant Professor of Foundational Writing and Study Skills - UAF
Classification:Assistant Professor (F9)
Grade:UNAC Grade 30
Work type:Faculty Full-time, On Campus
Administrative Unit:University of Alaska Fairbanks
School/Business unit:UAF Community and Technical College
UAF's Community and Technical College (CTC) is seeking a innovative, energetic Tenure Track Assistant Professor of Foundational Writing and Study Skills. The successful candidate will work in concert with faculty colleagues in the Department of Academic Foundations.
This is a 9-month, bi-partite faculty position, complete with both a competitive salary and full employee benefits package.
UAF's CTC has a community education mission, housing career and technical education programs at the certificate and Associates' level and beyond. Under direction of the CTC Dean, the faculty member will teach courses in first-year Writing, Reading, and Study Skills as well as undergraduate-level English composition courses. The successful candidate will be expected to fulfill faculty expectations for teaching and teaching-related services, advising, program development, and service to support the University of Alaska CTC's bipartite mission of performing teaching and public service. This position may require work during evenings and weekends and occasional travel.
|Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
||Candidates will be evaluated on suitability of their academic preparation, past teaching experience, potential for providing high quality instruction to undergraduate students and ability to work as a team player.
The following knowledge, skills and abilities are REQUIRED:
• Experience in teaching writing.
• Demonstrated success teaching non-traditional and under-prepared learners at the post-secondary level.
• Demonstrated experience with and knowledge of teaching students with non-traditional learning styles.
• Experience in student assessment and curriculum development.
• Demonstrated human relations and team skills.
Although not required for this position, the following additional knowledge, skills and abilities are also PREFERRED:
• Leadership skills in first-year Writing and Study Skills programming, including experience with leadership, program planning, course development and developing and evaluating curricula for academic and vocational education.
• Knowledge of nationally-recognized best practices in college preparatory pathways.
• Experience working with community agencies.
|Preferred Experience & Education:
Although not required for this position, the following experience is also PREFERRED
• Four or more year's teaching experience at the university or community college level.
• Experience teaching Foundational or Developmental Writing and Study Skills courses in a post-secondary setting; to include face-to-face and distance delivery.
• Experience using web-based learning systems.
• Experience advising students about Foundational or Developmental Writing placement.
|Required Experience & Education:
- Master's degree or Master's in Fine Arts degree completed in the fields of Writing or Education.
- Two years' teaching experience at the university, community college, or high school level.
This is a full-time, 9-month, tenure track faculty position complete with both a competitive salary and full employee benefits package. Faculty salaries are based on a variety of factors, including education and experience.
|Special Instructions to Applicants:
Please attach the following to complete your application:
- Resume or Vita
- Cover letter discussing experience and qualifications
- College transcript or other proof of education (Official transcripts will be required at time of hire.)
- Three professional references, including name and professional relationship, email address and contact phone number, to include at least one reference from a current or past supervisor
- Statement of Teaching Philosophy (one page)
You may attach supplemental documents as additional information to support your application as well.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until a successful candidate is identified. Review of application materials will begin immediately. Search and selection procedures will be closed when a sufficient and viable number of qualified candidates have been identified.
*To be eligible for this position, applicants must be legally authorized to work in the United States without restriction. Applicants who now or may in the future require visa sponsorship to work in the United States are not eligible.
The University of Alaska (UA) is responsible for providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities throughout the applicant screening process. If you need assistance in completing this application or during any phase of the interview process, please contact UA Human Resources by phone at 907-450-8200.
UA is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer, educational institution and provider and prohibits illegal discrimination against any individual: www.alaska.edu/nondiscrimination.
The successful applicant is required to complete a background check. Any offer of employment is contingent on the background check.
Your application for employment with the University of Alaska is subject to public disclosure under the Alaska Public Records Act.
If you have any questions regarding this position, please contact Dianna James, UAF Community and Technical College HR Coordinator, at email@example.com or 907-455-2863.
Advertised: Alaskan Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend