Math Lab Tutor - UAF CTC (Temporary Professional Pool)
Grade:Temporary Staff Grade 77
Administrative Unit:University of Alaska Fairbanks
School/Business unit:UAF Community and Technical College
Do you enjoy simplifying algebraic expressions, solving for the missing variable, or translating word problems into algebra?
The University of Alaska Fairbanks, Community and Technical College’s Learning Center is looking for experienced math tutors for our Math Lab. Math tutors play a vital role in helping students obtain academic excellence in a variety of courses that contain math related course work. Not only do our math tutors support university students in-person and online, but they also work with local high school students and the Fairbanks community. Positions are part time with a flexible schedule. Online tutoring is currently being offered as well.
100The Learning Center is located at the UAF Community and Technical College and offers both English and Math tutoring within the same area. A computer lab is also available in the Learning Center. The goal of the Math Lab is to assist students with understanding the process of working through a variety of math problems. This is accomplished through one-on-one discussions with students. Math tutors talk individually with students about the students' concepts, thoughts, and understanding of their assignment as well as guide the student towards academic resources.
The Math Lab tutors create and foster a friendly environment where students are encouraged to engage in their learning to build confidence and understanding for future assignments. Math tutors tend to rotate from student to student for short sessions as necessary. The in-person Math Lab at CTC is a drop-in open lab where you can have a variety of students from different courses at any time. The Online Math Lab functions over Zoom and currently offers one-on-one or group appointments as necessary. Math tutors will mostly help students with homework and specific topic skills, but they can also help with exam reviews, quiz and exam corrections, and provide supplemental resources.Essential
|Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
||Professional level knowledge in area of expertise. Computer skills. Ability to analyze and solve problems.
● knowledge of office practices and procedures, be organized, determine priorities, meet multiple deadlines
● communicate effectively with students and faculty
● familiarity with using the internet, accessing work email, sending and downloading electronic documents, using word processing programs
● comfortable with learning about online math programs students use (ALEKS, WebAssign, MyMathLab, etc.)
● attention to detail while working through math problems
● coach students through simplifying expressions and solving equations in algebra, understanding the order of operations and how to apply it, explain algebraic word problems step-by-step
● guide students to resources online and on campus
● recognize and work with various learning styles
● excellent customer service and interpersonal skills, previous experience working with the public preferred
● work independently and with other tutors, share a tutoring space
● work with students from diverse populations, including minors and other community members
● maintain and preserve confidentiality and comply with FERPA guidelines
|Preferred Experience & Education:
Successful candidates will have 6 months to 3 years (or more) classroom or tutorial experience, or the equivalent.
|Required Experience & Education:
A high school diploma or equivalent is required, although a bachelor’s degree is preferred.
This is a part time position with flexible hours. Starting hourly rate is a Temp Grade 77, Step 1 ($20.47/hr).
|Special Instructions to Applicants:
Interested applicants must apply online however, we also encourage you to network with the CTC Tutor Coordinator if you are interested in this position.
To complete your application, please attach:
- a cover letter indicating the area(s) where you feel you have the technical skills to assist,
- a comprehensive resume,
- the name, email and phone number of three professional references.
This is a pooled position, applications will be reviewed on an as-needed basis. SUCCESSFUL SUBMISSION OF AN APPLICATION DOES NOT GUARANTEE A JOB OFFER NOR REVIEW OF APPLICATION MATERIAL.
The University of Alaska Fairbanks, Community and Technical College offers over forty degrees, certificates and occupational endorsements designed to educate and train Alaskans for Alaskan jobs. Our education and training programs prepare graduates to work in occupations that keep our communities running and safe and are instrumental in making Alaska a better place to live, work, learn and recreate.
*To be eligible for this position, applicants must be legally authorized to work in the United States without restriction. Applicants who now or may in the future require visa sponsorship to work in the United States are not eligible.
The University of Alaska (UA) is responsible for providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities throughout the applicant screening process. If you need assistance in completing this application or during any phase of the interview process, please contact UA Human Resources by phone at 907-450-8200.
UA is an AA/EO employer and educational institution and prohibits illegal discrimination against any individual: www.alaska.edu/nondiscrimination
The successful applicant is required to complete a background check. Any offer of employment is contingent on the background check.
Your application for employment with the University of Alaska is subject to public disclosure under the Alaska Public Records Act.
If you have any questions regarding this position, please contact Dianna James, UAF CTC HR Coordinator, at email@example.com or 907-455-2863.
Advertised: Alaskan Daylight Time
Applications close: Alaskan Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend