Term Assistant Professor of Culinary Arts
Classification:Term Assistant Professor (F9)
Grade:UNAC Grade 30
Work type:Faculty Full-time, On Campus
Administrative Unit:University of Alaska Anchorage
School/Business unit:UAA Community & Technical College
The UAA Community and Technical College, Culinary Arts & Hospitality department is searching for a Term Instructor of Culinary Arts. This position is responsible for teaching a variety of culinary arts classes to include for credit and noncredit courses in selected food topics, nutrition, sanitation, and other topics as assigned by the department chair.
100• Responsible for theoretical and practical instruction in culinary arts and baking to include sanitation, nutrition concepts, and other topics as assigned.
• University, college, departmental and community participation is required as part of service component.
• Develop and implement non-credit training courses.
• Coordinate with department chair and outside entities on industry training needs.
• Maintain office hours according to contractual guidelines.
• Write and update course syllabi, assist with curriculum review, revision, and development.
• Maintain departmental integrity of student records.
• Engage in professional development and technology upgrading activities.
• Contribute to the improvement of the department, college, and university through committee participation.
• Attend department meetings and engage in continuous program improvement.
• Participate in departmental fund raising activities.
• Perform other job-related duties as assigned by department chair.Essential
|Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
||• Ability to teach Culinary Arts and Baking/Pastry Arts laboratory courses using various methods to engage students in learning, such as lecture/presentation, laboratory demonstrations, hands-on production, group interaction and Blackboard applications.
• Demonstrated experience and success using computer systems and software applications common to the food service/hospitality industry, as well as other instructional aids, such as PowerPoint or comparable formats.
• Ability to develop successful community engagement skills and maintain partnerships with industry; including advisory committees.
• Ability to become familiar with accreditation procedures and national standards in the discipline.
• Commitment to and the ability to work effectively with a collaborative faculty and staff and within the scope of the Community and Technical College.
• A minimum of 4 years of work experience as a professional chef in kitchen/restaurant food service operations with a minimum of 3 years work experience at the management level.
• Experience leading or working in a diversified workforce in a multi-cultural setting. • Demonstrated experience and success using computer systems and software applications common to the food service/hospitality industry, as well as other instructional aids, such as PowerPoint or comparable formats.
• Documented evidence of successful community engagement skills and experience building and maintain partnerships with industry.
|Required Education or Training:
Minimum of an Associate's degree in Culinary Arts required. Bachelor degree is preferred in foodservice management/hospitality/business/tourism or closely related field. American Culinary Federation (ACF) association and certification as Certified Culinary Educator or Certified Executive Chef preferred, but not required.
This is a full-time, 9-month, term-funded, faculty position with both a competitive salary and full employee benefits package. Salary is commensurate with education and experience.
|Special Instructions to Applicants:
Please attach a resume or curriculum vitae (CV), cover letter, and the names and contact information (email address and phone number) for three (3) professional references with your application.
Applications will be accepted for review on May 22, 2023, to ensure consideration, please apply by 11:55 PM, Alaska Standard Time on May 21, 2023.
*To be eligible for this position, applicants must be legally authorized to work in the United States without restriction. Applicants who now or may in the future require visa sponsorship to work in the United States are not eligible.
This position is represented by United Academics (UNAC). http://www.unitedacademics.net/
This position is term-funded and is reviewed annually for contract renewal at the University's discretion.
The University of Alaska (UA) is responsible for providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities throughout the applicant screening process. If you need assistance in completing this application or during any phase of the interview process, please contact UA Human Resources by phone at 907-450-8200.
UA is an AA/EO employer and educational institution and prohibits illegal discrimination against any individual: www.alaska.edu/nondiscrimination
The successful applicant is required to complete a background check. Any offer of employment is contingent on the background check.
Your application for employment with the University of Alaska is subject to public disclosure under the Alaska Public Records Act.
If you have any questions regarding this position, please contact Kellie Puff, Search Committee Chair, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Advertised: Alaskan Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend