Classification:Communications Specialist 3
Work type:On Campus, Staff Full-time
Administrative Unit:University of Alaska Anchorage
School/Business unit:UAA VC Student Affairs
Categories: Business/Accounting/Finance, Student Affairs/Services
UAA's Office of Admissions is seeking two Marketing Communications Specialists to work in the fast-paced world of college admissions. The Marketing Communications Specialist is part of the Admissions Communications Team under the Assistant Director of Communications and will be responsible for helping achieve strategic institutional enrollment goals. This position is perfect for an organized, future-oriented, big picture individual with marketing savvy and exceptional communication skills.
30%Communication Planning and Implementation
● Actively contribute in the development and enhancement of a yearly student recruitment communications and marketing plan, including creating documentation of the plan to be shared widely across the university.
● Understand the target audience intended for each communication and be able to maintain UAA style, tone, voice and brand. Align UAA’s strategic messaging in all materials.
● Assist in the creation of communication flow timeline and monitor production efforts.
● Assist in enhancing and maintaining content for Enrollment Services websites.
● Maintain awareness and knowledge of marketing channels, the university and current recruitment trends.
● Create, track and evaluate marketing campaigns in the CRM marketing platform, including creating templates, journeys and entire campaigns.
● Use CRM software to build and export reports for email and direct mail campaigns.Essential
● Expand the University’s reach and influence to prospective first-year international and transfer students and additional audiences as determined by the annual recruitment plan.
● Coordinate the production of components of UAA’s recruitment and first-year-student communication plans including the production of publications such as the UAA viewbook, academic program brochures, pre-professional program brochures, event materials, etc.
● Edit and polish recruitment communications to ensure accuracy and quality.
● Work in close collaboration with college and academic department faculty and staff, other support units to incorporate accurate information representative of those areas to be included in publications.Essential
40%Content Development, Writing and Copy Editing
● Develop written content for various applications including print, email, social media and web to meet University of Alaska Anchorage institutional priorities and recruitment and enrollment goals as well as target prospective, future and new students.
● Serve as content lead for major communications initiatives across print and digital media that advance Enrollment Services priorities.
● Work with colleagues from various academic and administrative units to gather facts, generate stories and innovate content to promote the attributes of the University.
● Review and edit all outgoing written communications from the Office of Admissions intended for a mass audience. This position will be the initial editor with final approval being with the Assistant Director of Communication and the Executive Director of Admissions.
● Review and collaborate with other areas in Enrollment Services on outgoing communications to ensure consistency in brand and messaging, especially for new students.
● Manage, edit and enhance internal and external communications to various stakeholders.
● Solicit stakeholder input, when appropriate, regarding format, readability and consistency of publications.
● Continuously scan the environment for best practices, trends and styles that allow the university to remain at the cutting edge of communications content and strategy.Essential
|Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
||Excellent writing, editing and oral communications skills required. Knowledge of all forms of online and print communication. Knowledge of communications theory and application in research, execution and evaluation of communications functions, best practices and industry standards. Knowledge of effective marketing and communication tools and ability to make recommendations regarding content management and design. Ability to work with accessibility best practices in mind when creating content.
Exceptional organizational skills. Ability to meet tight deadlines and manage multiple projects simultaneously with positive outcomes. Experience working with media and vendors. Experience working with online publications. Knowledge of web design and graphic design. Knowledge of CRM communications.
•Bachelor’s degree in Public Relations, Journalism, Communications or related field and two years relevant experience or an equivalent combination of training and experience.
• Experience coordinating large print projects with multiple parts and deadlines.
• Experience in marketing, persuasive writing, technical/informative writing, proofreading and communications design.
• Ability to understand and integrate institutional strategy into modes of communication.
• Effective interpersonal and communication skills (verbal and written) and the ability to work effectively with a wide range of constituencies in a diverse community. Ability to foster a cooperative work environment.
• Ability to write in a variety of styles and media. Ability to write in an engaging, informative and persuasive manner.
• Ability to think critically when editing content and to use tact and diplomacy with clients to consistently meet deadlines and the highest editorial standards.
• Appreciation of visual design as it relates to supporting content messages.
• Experience editing articles, developing compelling ideas, proofreading and managing communication projects. Ability to set priorities, work in a fast-paced, exciting environment and meet deadlines.
• Knowledge of copyright and trademark laws. Regulations and standards for the management and disclosure of public information.
• Ability to lead and to provide effective advice and guidance on strategic and/or critical public relations issues. Knowledge of current and emerging public relations issues and trends applicable to educational institutions.
• Knowledge of digital publishing, including an understanding of design concepts and practices, social media best practices, SEO and email marketing.
|Required Education or Training:
Bachelor’s degree in Public Relations, Journalism, Communications or related field and two years
relevant experience or an equivalent combination of training and experience.
This is a full-time, 12-month, term funded, non-exempt staff position complete with both a competitive salary and full employee benefits package. New hires will be placed on the UA salary schedule, Grade 78, based on education and experience.
|Special Instructions to Applicants:
Please attach a resume, cover letter, two (2) writing samples, and the names and contact information (email address and phone number) for three (3) professional references with your application.
A review of applications will begin on October 7, 2022.
*To be eligible for this position, applicants must be legally authorized to work in the United States without restriction. Applicants who now or may in the future require visa sponsorship to work in the United States are not eligible.
This position is a term-funded position and is reviewed annually for contract renewal at the University's discretion.
The University of Alaska (UA) is responsible for providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities throughout the applicant screening process. If you need assistance in completing this application or during any phase of the interview process, please contact UA Human Resources by phone at 907-450-8200.
UA is an AA/EO employer and educational institution and prohibits illegal discrimination against any individual: www.alaska.edu/nondiscrimination
The successful applicant is required to complete a background check. Any offer of employment is contingent on the background check.
Your application for employment with the University of Alaska is subject to public disclosure under the Alaska Public Records Act.
If you have any questions regarding this position, please contact University of Alaska HR at 907-450-8200.
Advertised: Alaskan Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend