Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
• Knowledge of power plant systems and operations, and comprehensive knowledge in the area of responsibility
• Knowledge of Circulating Fluidized Bed boiler operation
• Demonstrated effective leadership and personnel management skills
• Demonstrated ability to operate effectively in a team environment
• Ability to effectively communicate (verbal and written) at all levels of UAF
• Ability to establish and maintain a positive and professional working relationship with all individuals
• Strong organizational skills and capability of handling multiple projects simultaneously
• Excellent written and oral communication skills
• Strong analytical skills
• Strong strategic business sense and industry knowledge/experience.
• Microsoft Office Suite
• Ability to direct a complex unit involving multiple operations, projects and programs, and critical systems and functions.
• Ability to understand and execute written and oral instructions and relay those instructions to the work leaders and other subordinate staff.
• Ability to work under pressure - calmly and effectively in emergency situations.
• Ability to communicate effectively with management team, shift supervisors and plant personnel.
• Experience and/or ability to lead people either directly or indirectly.
• Unfailingly high ethical standards and strict adherence to sound purchasing practices.
• Extensive experience with a variety of equipment and parts to include air compressors, boilers, centrifuges, cooling towers, drying equipment, electrical components and instrumentation, material handling equipment, pneumatics, pumps, valves, and electrical systems.
• Promotes productivity and teamwork in Operations with open communication, timely decision making, and use of personal leadership skills to set high standards of performance while providing the direction necessary to achieve that performance.
• Strong interpersonal and conflict resolution skills.
• Expert planning, problem solving, and decision making abilities.
• Ability to foster a safe, professional, productive and effective work environment.
• Ability to provide excellent customer service to stakeholders, campus users and Facilities Services staff, correcting issues and interacting with difficult individuals in a productive and professional manner.
• Thorough knowledge of the Collective Bargaining Agreement and University policies and procedures governing supervisor/employee interactions.
• Knowledge of environmental and safety laws, regulations and permits, and power generation laws, regulations and permits.
• Normal power plant and office environment
• Work overtime and non-standard working hours as required
• Requires occasional travel
• Required to work around rotating and energized equipment
• Requires standing, sitting, walking, kneeling, twisting, climbing stairs and ladders, and entering plant equipment to access, inspect, or collect data on plant equipment.
• Routinely requires wearing personal protective safety equipment (respirators, safety glasses, hard hat, appropriate footwear, ear plugs, etc.).
• May be required to work around rotating and energized equipment, hazardous materials and chemicals.
• Requires operation of a personal computer.
• Occasionally requires lifting as appropriate to perform duties and responsibilities.
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Please attach a resume, cover letter, and the names and contact information (email address and phone number) for three (3) professional references with your application.
The review process for applications will begin on October 5, 2022, and application review will continue until the position is filled.