Classification:Assistant Professor (F9)
Grade:UNAC Grade 30
Work type:Faculty Full-time
Administrative Unit:University of Alaska Fairbanks
School/Business unit:UAF Community and Technical College
Do you have experience teaching or working in the area of construction management, and a desire to help others learn? If so, this may be the job you've been looking for!
UAF's Community and Technical College is seeking a Tenure Track Assistant Professor for our Construction Management program. Among other responsibilities, you will teach classes, provide academic advising, assist in curriculum development and work in close association with private sector businesses to maintain cutting edge programs and opportunities for student practicum experiences, and pathways for employment.
This is a 9 month (full time), Tenure-Track faculty position complete with a competitive UA employee benefits package.
Apply before July 6, 2022 to ensure consideration.
Candidates will be evaluated on suitability of their academic preparation, potential for providing high quality instruction to undergraduate students and ability to work as a team player.
The following knowledge, skills and abilities are required:
- Experience with computer use in design and construction applications.
- Demonstrated experience in building partnerships with private sector partners in program development and implementation.
- Demonstrated experience in working collaboratively with students, faculty and community members.
- Strong ability to communicate clearly and effectively with students and fellow faculty and staff, both orally and in writing.
- Good interpersonal skills to work with University faculty and staff, construction and/or design professionals, contractors, labor unions and public officials.
- Demonstrated strong teamwork and leadership skills while working in cooperative or collaborative educational settings.
- Demonstrated ability to work with people of all ages, cultures, races, ethnicity, learning styles and socioeconomic backgrounds.
- Candidates with successful construction management teaching experience are PREFERRED.
- Candidates with curriculum development experience are also PREFERRED.
REQUIRED EDUCATION OR TRAINING:
- Associates degree or higher in construction management or a closely related field; OR professional experience and credentials in managing construction operations or providing construction project consulting services; OR an equivalent combination of education/training and work experience.
- Five years of current experience in teaching construction management or related technology at an accredited institution; OR five years of professional experience in the management of construction projects, managing construction operations, or providing construction project consulting services.
To be eligible for this position, applicants must be legally authorized for unrestricted employment in the United States. No work visas will be sponsored for this position.
A valid State of Alaska driver’s license is required for this position.
Additional Knowledge, Skills and Abilities PREFERRED, but not required:
Prior teaching and/or training experience.
Prior successful experience in management of design and/or construction of significant projects, preferably Alaska based.
Experience working with diverse, non-traditional students.
Knowledge of Alaskan and northern latitude design and construction management principles and practices, logistics and other unique nuances and requirements.
This is a Tenure Track position and will support the UAF's bipartitie mission of performing teaching and service; which may include offerings in rural communities and participating in University and community service activities.
UAF CTC offers many associate degrees, certificates, and occupational endorsements at 9 locations throughout Fairbanks and the Tanana Valley of Interior Alaska. UAF CTC is responsive to local and regional vocational and technical training needs, and focuses on workforce development to meet the needs of the region and the state. UAF CTC's programs also provide students with the academic framework to help them achieve their higher education goals, whether it is to complete and associate of arts degree or transfer to a baccalaureate program.
In addition, UAF CTC provides career training and development opportunities through workforce development and professional development programs. Staff and faculty have forged close ties with businesses and local agencies, enhancing instruction and increasing job placements.
UAF CTC employs a diverse population of approximately 35 full-time faculty and 200 adjunct faculty who are represented by two unions and a staff of about 35. Approximately 3000 students attend UAF CTC. They are culturally diverse and include many non-traditional students and students from the military community.
Please attach the following to complete your application:
- Resume or Vita
- Cover letter
- 3 professional employment references to include names, professional relationship, address and contact phone number
- Philosophy of teaching statement
You may attach supplemental documents such as transcripts, certifications, professional portfolio, etc. as additional information to support your application.
This is a 9 month (full-time), Tenure Track faculty position complete with a competitive UA employee benefits package. This is an open until filled recruitment with the initial application review taking place after July 6, 2022. To ensure your application is considered, apply by 11:55pm Alaska Standard time on July 5, 2022.
The successful applicant is required to complete a background check. Any offer of employment is contingent on the background check.
This position is represented by the United Academics - AAUP/AFT (UNAC).
Reasonable Accommodation Statement:
The University of Alaska (UA) is responsible for providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities throughout the applicant screening process. If you need assistance in completing this application or during any phase of the interview process, please contact UA Human Resources by phone at 907-450-8200.
Affirmative Action Statement:
UA is an AA/EO employer and educational institution and prohibits illegal discrimination against any individual: www.alaska.edu/nondiscrimination
Public Disclosure Statement:
Your application for employment with the University of Alaska is subject to public disclosure under the Alaska Public Records Act.
University of Alaska is a Drug-Free Workplace.
University of Alaska campuses are Tobacco-Free.
It is the policy of the University of Alaska (UA) that all employees are required to complete training to meet the requirements of the positions they hold, and to complete the required training within a specified period to remain employed at the UA.
If you have any questions regarding this position, please contact University of Alaska Human Resources at 907-450-8200 or Dianna James, UAF CTC Human Resources Manager at 907-455-2863.