The College of Rural and Community Development (CRCD) seeks an energetic and skilled Accounting Technician to join our team. If you are interested and have the skills as outlined in the job duties, we encourage you to apply! This recruitment is open internally to current UA employees or those otherwise eligible to apply to internal postings.
This position is responsible for fiscal, travel, reconciliation and administrative duties as outlined in the duties section of the advertisement.
- Advanced knowledge of automated accounting systems, and electronic spreadsheets.
- Knowledge of and ability to interpret fiscal and purchasing policies, rules and regulations.
- In depth knowledge of accounting system functions or procedures (e.g. accounts receivable, accounts payable, program and activity codes).
- Funding specific knowledge (e.g. grant processes, grant account reconciliation, unrestricted accounts, private funds) and/or knowledge in specialized areas.
- Intermediate fiscal skills with the ability to interpret and analyze financial documents.
- Analytical and problem solving skills.
- Ability to work with complex systems and accounts and maintain accounts and data.
- Ability to meet deadlines under stressful situations
- Ability to understand fiscal and purchasing policies, rules & regulations.
- Intermediate computer and spreadsheet skills.
- Ability to establish effective working relationships while maintaining high ethical standards.
- Excellent customer service and the ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing.
- Knowledge of and ability to maintain security and confidentiality rules and regulations.
- Ability to work with intermittent supervision.
- Research and database skills.
- Ability to analyze situations and solve problems independently.
- Experience in making complex travel arrangements for individuals and visiting groups. Must have knowledge of travel processes, procedures, rules and regulations.
- Work effectively with a wide range of constituencies in a diverse community.
- Advanced knowledge of modern office procedures and equipment including fully automated accounting systems.
- Manage time to meet demanding deadlines..
Preferred Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
University Banner System. UA BOR Policies and Regulations; Fiscal Technician II experience in UA environment; Ability to multi-task with many interruptions; Ability to troubleshoot and identify problematic issues; Training in QMENU and Vista Plus; UAF Travel and Pro-Card reconciliation training; Knowledge of specific restricted account funding; Knowledge of Financial Services and Purchasing.
Describe any other special skills/knowledge required:
Banner experience, additional training as required for successful completion of job duties. Demonstrated experience in Banner Finance and ability to train and provide guidance to lower level technicians.
Describe any other special skills/knowledge required:
One year of college coursework in Accounting or related field and two years of mid-level accounting experience. Experience within a University setting is preferred. Must have at least 4 or more years of high level customer service experience.
Required Education or Training:
Associate's degree in Applied Accounting or related field and three years of relevant experience, or an equivalent combination of training and experience.Working knowledge of Banner integrated financial information systems and/or database software and report generation. Knowledge of general accounting procedures, customer service and conflict resolution skills.
This is a full-time, 12-month position at a Grade 00_77, salary commensurate with experience, complete with UA employee benefit package.
For full consideration, the following should be included with your online application:
Applications must be received no later than June 3, 2022 by 11:55 pm Alaska Standard Time for full consideration. This position will remain open until filled. This recruitment is open both internally to current UA employees and externally.
*To be eligible for this position, applicants must be legally authorized for unrestricted employment in the United States. No work visas will be sponsored for this position.
Effective immediately, all new UAF hires, whose job function or work location results in the employee being subject to the UAF vaccine requirements guided by the Federal Contractor Employee vaccine mandate*, must be fully vaccinated with an FDA- or WHO- authorized or approved COVID-19 vaccine or have obtained a university-approved disability/medical or religious exemption no later than six weeks from the new hire's start date.
*Employees based on UAF’s Troth Yeddha’ (Fairbanks) campus, regardless of university affiliation and remote work status; Employees based in UAF research units outside Fairbanks (including Seward Marine Center, Kodiak Seafood and Marine Science Center, HAARP, Poker Flat, Lena Point, and Toolik Field Station); and Employees, regardless of their work location, paid by or directly working on impacted UAF federal contract.
Reasonable Accommodation Statement:
The University of Alaska (UA) is responsible for providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities throughout the applicant screening process. If you need assistance in completing this application or during any phase of the interview process, please contact UA Human Resources by phone at 907-450-8200.
Affirmative Action Statement:
UA is an AA/EO employer and educational institution and prohibits illegal discrimination against any individual: www.alaska.edu/nondiscrimination
The successful applicant is required to complete a background check. Any offer of employment is contingent on the background check.
Pursuant to University Regulation 04.07.020, new employees of the University are employed in an at-will probationary status for the first six months of employment. During the probationary period, employment may be terminated for no reason or any reason. Promoted employees also serve a probationary period with limited rights of retreat.
Public Disclosure Statement:
Your application for employment with the University of Alaska is subject to public disclosure under the Alaska Public Records Act.
University of Alaska is a Drug-Free Workplace.
University of Alaska campuses are Tobacco-Free.
It is the policy of the University of Alaska (UA) that all employees are required to complete training to meet the requirements of the positions they hold, and to complete the required training within a specified period to remain employed at the UA.
If you have any questions regarding this position, please contact University of Alaska HR at 907-450-8200.