Public Relations Director
Apply now Job no: 517903
Classification:Communications Manager 3
Work type: Staff Full-time
Administrative Unit:University of Alaska Anchorage
School/Business unit:UAA VC University Advancement
Categories: Communications/Public Relations/Marketing
The University of Alaska Anchorage (UAA) is seeking an energetic, organized professional to fill the role of Public Relations Director. This position will strategically assess, develop, coordinate, and monitor targeted communications and public relations programs for the achievement of UAA's missions and goals. Supervise and manage a dynamic team of marketing and communications professionals and develop effective and positive relations with internal and external audiences by working with all UAA campuses to create public understanding of the importance of UA's missions, goals, and accomplishments.
10 Supervision & Fiscal
• Supervises up to 4-6 professionals on the editorial team including social/digital communications, enrollment marketing and feature writing teams that makes up the University Relations team within the University of Alaska Anchorage Advancement Office
• The social media specialist is responsible for the institution’s and chancellor’s social media accounts, marketing automation and Advancement email marketing functions, including Chancellor’s Office and cabinet-level emails
• The communications assistant is responsible for routine website and Advancement news blog writing, maintenance tasks, and projects; marketing research and ad placement; and serves as the primary CMS administrator for University Relations.
*Will oversee and monitor budget for the University Relations Team as it correlates to the Social Media position and Communications Assistant position as well as any marketing initiatives including the approximately $420k annual recruitment marketing budget Essential
30 Public Relations
• Develops strategies to raise the visibility and build positive reputation of the university
• Manages communications initiatives that maintain and build upon UAA's brand and brand campaign
• Develops and implements short and long-term communication plans for university-wide initiatives and campaigns and evaluates their effectiveness
• Oversees production, design and development of content for print, web, radio, TV, and social media platforms; works closely with editorial and creative services to support the university's communication and marketing efforts
• Develops and implements crisis communications plans in conjunction with university advancement’s director of communications and stakeholder engagement
• Serves as key crises communicator in the event of campus emergencies and with regard to issues that could harm the university’s reputation; handles highly sensitive and confidential information at the UAA and statewide levels
• Member of the UAA crisis communications team; responds to fluid situations that require immediate attention to IMT needs and to pressing media requests; develops tactical approaches to address specific communication issues in the event of a campus emergency
• Participates in strategic and long-term planning to advance UAA institutional priorities such as student recruitment, enrollment and retention
• Ensures compliance with university policy, applicable laws, regulations and procedures in the development of promotional materials to manage institutional risk (ADA, FERPA, Licensing/Copyright, photo releases etc.)
• Counsels and coordinates media relations activities with college communications specialists; Manages relationships with public relations agencies/vendors
• Consults with campus constituencies to ensure consistency and alignment with institutional brand strategy and effective execution of brand and to develop and execute targeted public relations and communications plans
• Advises departments facing difficult PR or communication issues and develops solutions to resolve issues
• Leads regular meetings of campus communications professionals to provide training and resources, as well as key information about important campus initiatives. Essential
60 Media Relations
• Leads UAA media relations, serving as key university communications resource to press; establishes and maintains good working relationships with reporters, writers, editors, producers and other representatives in the Alaska media market.
• Manages dissemination of information to media and media access to administration, faculty, staff and students.
• Advises academic and program-level administrators regarding media relations and communications issues and prepares designated spokespeople for each media interaction; conducts media training.
• Plans and develops story ideas beneficial to the reputation and mission of UAA and effectively pitches to news media to secure desired media coverage; oversees writing and editing of news releases, media advisories
• Catalogs faculty expertise to address trending issues or media requests when opportunities arise.
• Monitors, analyzes and reports on UAA press coverage to key stakeholders, analyzes threats to university’s reputation and determines strategies to offset potential impacts/maximize positive outcomes.
• Coordinates public relations and media relations activity with statewide UA public relations and counterparts at UA Fairbanks and UA Southeast. Essential
Excellent writing and oral communications skills required, including editing. Knowledge of all forms of electronic and print communication, including social media. Demonstrated ability to pitch and place news stories in both the local and national media.
Minimum of four years in a public relations capacity, including working with internal and external clients to understand issues and problems, develop strategies, write and disseminate news stories, interact with the news media, and analyze results.
REQUIRED EDUCATION OR TRAINING:
Bachelor's degree in Public Relations, Journalism, Marketing, Communications or relevant discipline (or) an equivalent combination of training and experience.
To be eligible for this position, applicants must be legally authorized for unrestricted employment in the United States. No work visas will be sponsored for this position.
This is a full-time,
Grade 82, minimum $72,363 yearly, DOE, 12-month position complete with a competitive salary and UA employee benefits package. This position is open until filled with the initial application review taking place on September 27, 2021. To ensure your application is considered, apply by 11:55 pm, September 26, 2021. Applications received after this date may not be considered. A complete application will include a resume, cover letter, and contact information for three professional references.
Reasonable Accommodation Statement:
The University of Alaska (UA) is responsible for providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities throughout the applicant screening process. If you need assistance in completing this application or during any phase of the interview process, please contact UA Human Resources by phone at 907-450-8200.
Affirmative Action Statement:
UA is an AA/EO employer and educational institution and prohibits illegal discrimination against any individual:
The successful applicant is required to complete a background check. Any offer of employment is contingent on the background check.
Pursuant to University Regulation 04.07.020, new employees of the University are employed in an at-will probationary status for the first six months of employment. During the probationary period, employment may be terminated for no reason or any reason. Promoted employees also serve a probationary period with limited rights of retreat.
Public Disclosure Statement:
Your application for employment with the University of Alaska is subject to public disclosure under the Alaska Public Records Act.
University of Alaska is a Drug-Free Workplace. University of Alaska campuses are Tobacco-Free.
It is the policy of the University of Alaska (UA) that all employees are required to complete training to meet the requirements of the positions they hold, and to complete the required training within a specified period to remain employed at the UA.
If you have any questions regarding this position, please contact University of Alaska HR at 907-450-8200.
Advertised: Alaskan Daylight Time 10 Sep 2021
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend