Apply now Job no: 517079
Classification:Fiscal Manager 2
Work type: Staff Full-time
Administrative Unit:University of Alaska Fairbanks
School/Business unit:UAF Facilities Services
Categories: Administrative/Personnel, Business/Accounting/Finance, Facilities/Skilled Trades, Other
UAF Facilities Services provides a safe and functional environment for the University of Alaska Fairbanks at the Fairbanks Campus as well as remote campuses by building, operating and maintaining infrastructure and grounds. We are recruiting for a Fiscal Officer that has the background and confidence to successfully manage the budgeting and accounting of $50M of facilities-related expenditures, in addition to managing the campus mail center and the warehouse and procurement shared services.This recruitment is open internal to current UA employees as a promotional opportunity or those otherwise eligible to apply to internal postings.
10 WORK MANAGEMENT SYSTEM
* Prepare and submit weekly electronic billing for UAA and UAF FS from work management system (AiM) using SQL coding and scripting processes. Weekly billing includes labor, materials and equipment averaging $600,000 and 3,000 transactions. Prepare and analyze billing reports. Troubleshoot billing errors in Banner Finance. Reconcile activity from AiM to Banner.
* Coordinate year-end/year-begin billing activities to ensure smooth process with Statewide Financial Systems, UAA Facilities & Campus Services, FS Customer Service, FS DDC, and FS Warehouse.
* Ensure billing accounts (over 2,500) are current and accurate in AiM. Verify, update, and add new accounts as requested by FS Warehouse, FS Customer Service, and FS Transportation Services.
* Assist FS Warehouse operations staff with annual inventory. Run year-end reports to analyze count variances, generate recounts, finalize counts, and reconcile AiM and Banner for 4,400 item inventory.
* Responsible for review and entry of specific labor billing rates for 28 Facilities Services shops.
* Hold superuser role in AiM with access and authority for all 27 AiM modules, including system administration. Essential
15 CAMPUS MAIL CENTER
* Develop, project, and manage the annual $350,000 budget.
* Provide leadership and guidance for business operations.
* Serve as hiring manager and authority on expenditure approval.
* Ensure high level of customer service and respond to customer feedback reports.
* Oversee quarterly account reconciliations with funds deposited across multiple vendors. Essential
15 SUPERVISION OF STAFF
* Supervise FS Warehouse, Utilities, and University Fire Department fiscal staff, whose duties include: all purchasing activities for the FS Warehouse and Utilities, fiscal monitoring of contracts and processing payments, supervising fiscal technicians and student employees, controlling petty cash fund, records management, and file maintenance.
* Supervise Campus Mail Center manager, whose duties include: responsibility for all incoming and outgoing UAF department and student mail, maintaining the address forwarding system, managing the campus mail box system, supervising mail clerks and student employees, maintaining postage equipment and postage meter account balances.
* Provide technical support, mentoring, and training as needed.
* Prioritize training and development of staff.
* Hire, train, evaluate performance, and initiate corrective action.
* Assist in facilitating recruitments for department. Essential
60 FINANCIAL MANAGEMENT
* Develop and provide revenue and expenditure projections for monthly management reports for UAF Facilities Services (FS), Utilities, and seven VCAS divisions in support of administrative oversight and budget planning.
*Develop financial reports and analysis to aid in strategic planning for the Vice Chancellor for Administrative Services (VCAS) and VCAS units, as well as the FS executive team.
*Develop annual recharge rate proposals for Leasing, Warehouse, Time & Materials, Maintenance, Labor, Transportation, and Utilities
*Review and evaluate FS fiscal activities and support systems. Develop, manage, and prioritize office workflow to ensure efficiency and timeliness of all reporting and fiscal tasks. Monitor to ensure compliance with internal and external requirements. Implement and manage changes in consultation with the FS Executive Officer to improve and maintain the effectiveness and efficiency of business operations.
* Responsible for the annual budget preparation for FS divisions of Administration, Maintenance, Operations, Finance & Business Services, Safety, and Utilities with a combined operating budget of more than $67 million. Annual continuation budget for FS includes projecting labor, expenditures, and revenues for 57 unique fund-org combinations of unrestricted, leasing, recharge, and restricted funds.
* Develop active jobs file of all 270 FS employees and 237 VCAS employees to capture current year labor costs and project next fiscal year costs under various scenarios.
* As a certified procurement technician, authorized to commit the organization to expenditures (ability to attend next offered training, if not currently certified).
* Final signature authority on fiscal related items, such as: journal vouchers, labor redistributions, budget revisions, procurement credit card statements and forms, 60-day cost transfer memos, and fund/org code maintenance forms.
* Monitor VCAS and FS organizational structures and the D-level relationship.
*Responsible for the annual budget preparation for University Fire Department, Environment Health, Safety, and Risk Management, and Financial Services.
* Ensure accuracy of occupancy data; review billing data; oversee preparation of billing memos and JVs for all on-campus leases, off-campus leases, Aurora warehouse storage, Lenel readers/servers. Research and resolve billing issues with UAF department fiscal managers. Oversee on-campus lease payments and billings to external parties in excess of $450,000 and 100 transactions per year.
* Provide expertise in eight Facilities Services recharge centers to ensure compliance with applicable rules and regulations.
* Oversee quarterly account reconciliations for Campus Mail Center, Utilities, and FS Warehouse.
* Interpret institutional, state, and federal fiscal policies for all funds.
* Monitor five funds managed by UA Foundation. Request periodic reimbursements with appropriate documentation and reasoning.
* Monitor RSA activity, process billings and payments.
* Design and develop long range revenue and expenditure projections utilizing advanced spreadsheet and database tools.
* Monitor fund activity and accounting on a regular basis.
* Respond to or initiate financial inquiries.
* Prepare specialized financial reports for internal and external groups. Essential
•Advanced knowledge of rules and regulations associated with fiscal activities.
•Expert knowledge of complex spreadsheet and database development, and computer-generated reports. •Ability to supervise. •Strong problem solving skills. •Excellent written and oral communication skills. •Ability to foster effective working relationships and build consensus from staff in other departments. •Ability to synthesize information into comprehensive reports. •Ability to extract and interpret information from complex relational databases. •Ability to prepare and provide analysis for reports that will be used at the executive level. •Ability to formulate unique and creative solutions for problems. •Knowledge of strategic planning procedures and project management; •Knowledge of complex and highly specialized fiscal functions. Knowledge of cost/benefit analysis, budget forecasting techniques, and budget preparation procedures, and compliance requirements. •Expert analytical and research skills. •Ability to recommend actions for improvements to current processes •Ability to communicate reporting requirements to lower- and upper-level staff. •Advanced knowledge of accounting theory and Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP). •Thorough knowledge of the principals, practices, and procedures of business administration to include budget development, financial management (financial control/accounting), procurement of goods and services, and travel.
Four years of progressive responsible professional fiscal experience or equivalent.
REQUIRED EDUCATION OR TRAINING:
Bachelor’s degree in accounting, statistics or related field and 4 years progressively responsible
professional fiscal experience, or an equivalent combination of training and experience. Master’s degree or professional licensure preferred (e.g. CPA, CFM).
This recruitment is open internal to current UA employees as a promotional opportunity or those otherwise eligible to apply to internal postings. Internal applications will be reviewed first.
Applications must be received prior to 11:55 PM Alaska time on
June 17, 2021, to be considered. Applications received after this time and date may not be considered for this position. To ensure consideration, please apply prior to the review date.
Salary Information: Grade 81 / Step 1 $30.87/hr DOE. This is a full-time, benefited position with a UA employee benefits package.
Applicant Instructions: Please attach a resume, cover letter, and names and contact information (email and phone number) for three (3) professional references.
Contact Information: If you have any questions regarding this position, please contact University of Alaska HR at 907-450-8200.
Background Check: The successful applicant is required to complete a background check. Any offer of employment is contingent on the background check.
Probationary: Pursuant to University Regulation 04.07.020, new employees of the University are employed in an at-will probationary status for the first six months of employment. During the probationary period, employment may be terminated for no reason or any reason. Promoted employees also serve a probationary period with limited rights of retreat.
Reasonable Accommodation Statement: The University of Alaska (UA) is responsible for providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities throughout the applicant screening process. If you need assistance in completing this application or during any phase of the interview process, please contact UA Human Resources by phone at 907-450-8200.
Public Disclosure Statement: Your application for employment with the University of Alaska is subject to public disclosure under the Alaska Public Records Act.
University of Alaska is a Drug-Free Workplace. University of Alaska campuses are Tobacco-Free.
Training Policy: It is the policy of the University of Alaska Fairbanks that all employees are required to attend training to meet the requirements of the positions they hold, and to complete the required training within a specified period of time to remain employed at UAF. The policy can be located at: http://www.uaf.edu/chancellor/policy/04.07.010/
Affirmative Action Statement:
UA is an AA/EO employer and educational institution and prohibits illegal discrimination against any individual:
Advertised: Alaskan Daylight Time 09 Jun 2021
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend