Alaska MEP Industrial Engineer Business Advisor
Apply now Job no: 514901
Classification:Administrative Professional 4
Work type: Staff Full-time
Administrative Unit:University of Alaska Anchorage
School/Business unit:UAA Chancellor
Categories: Business/Accounting/Finance, Engineering/Computer Science, Executive/Director/Management, Facilities/Skilled Trades
The Manufacturing Extension Partnership is a program initiated by the federal government to perform economic development in the manufacturing sector. Each state has an MEP center. The Alaska MEP Industrial Engineer Business Advisor will work in close collaboration with the Alaska MEP director to ensure client needs are addressed in concert with the requirements of the national MEP office (part of the National Institute for Standards and Technology), and University of Alaska policies and procedures. The position may work with program partners from the State of Alaska (state agencies seeking to support the Alaska the MEP center), the Alaska MEP advisory council, and other partners in Alaska from time to time.
10 Marketing and Outreach: 10%
● Engage existing and new manufacturers statewide to promote the services of the Industrial Extension technical assistance services.
● Work with existing and establish new relationships with internal UA and external stakeholders.
● Identify opportunities and generate projects focusing on health, safety, and efficiency.
● Participate in meetings, conferences, and events for manufacturers.
● Develop and maintain relationships with industry partners. Essential
15 Programmatic Compliance: 15%
● Maintain records of client firms, proposals, project status, and effort expenditure using SalesForece or similar PC/Cloud-based customer relationship management system.
● Develop and maintain customer relationships
● Communicate program progress via the NIST reporting system
● Monitor technical assistance activities and ensure compliance with applicable rules, regulations, policies, procedures, and current guidance on best practices Essential
20 Trainings and Workshops: 20%
● Design and deliver trainings in areas of expertise using a variety of training modalities including but not limited to online webinars and graphics-based flyers
● Keep abreast of COVID-19 related policy or regulatory changes impacting manufacturers and develop mechanisms for broadly disseminating information as well as developing delivery related trainings. Essential
5 Sustainability: 5%
• Other duties as assigned
• Participate in Alaska MEP and NIST related planning processes Essential
50 Client/Project Management: 50%
● Identify and act on new client opportunities
● Build relationships with clients to understand client needs.
● Maintain channels of communication with clients and the internal team to deliver proposals, projects, and follow up timely and efficiently.
● Negotiate agreements with clients
● Deliver technical assistance or consulting services in areas of expertise
● Explore the unique challenges faced by Alaskans and innovate modes to conquer these hurdles.
● Support clients in writing health and safety programs, creating technical reports, conducting training, conducting mock regulatory inspections, and industrial hygiene services. Essential
● Demonstrated experience working as a manufacturing business owner, upper level management, business advisor, extensive prior experience providing technical assistance and counsel to business owners. ● Ability to listen carefully to a client's needs, conduct relevant research, and propose an appropriate solution as well as support the implementation of that solution. ● Well established network with Alaska's business community or demonstration of prior equivalent business and community networks in other statewide job management performance. ● Ability to conceptualize and develop a new program offering. ● Extensive experience and knowledge working in both university and/or government environments. Must fully understand processes and procedures. ● Proficiency in G-Suite, Google Apps and MS Office suite of applications. ● Excellent oral and written communication skills. Preferred Qualifications: ● Advanced leadership skills. ● Demonstrated experience working within a federally funded award. ● Demonstrated skills in establishing and maintaining effective working and supportive relationships with a variety of public and private stakeholders. ● Understanding of current manufacturing firm issues and technical assistance support systems. ● Experience with the Malcolm Baldrige National Quality Award program. ● Experience with Lean Six Sigma (green belt preferred) and/or Lean business consulting. ● Prior business ownership experience.
Working knowledge of lean manufacturing and continuous improvement methodologies, safety, and OSHA requirements for manufacturers, and inventory and warehouse management is highly desirable. A minimum of five years of successful experience in manufacturing operations and/or manufacturing consulting is strongly desired.
REQUIRED EDUCATION OR TRAINING:
Minimum Education Experience
● Bachelor's degree in Occupational Health and Safety, Safety Sciences, Engineering, or related field. Working knowledge of lean manufacturing and continuous improvement methodologies, safety, and OSHA requirements for manufacturers, and inventory and warehouse management is highly desirable. A minimum of five years of successful experience in manufacturing operations and/or manufacturing consulting is strongly desired. ● Prefer a Master's level or PhD with significant course work in business operations. Safety-related designation preferred (CSP, GSP, CIH, etc.). Prefer seven years relevant experience. Demonstrate knowledge of Alaska's industry landscape and manufacturing potential. • Applicants having an equivalent or relatable combination of education, training, and experience will also be considered.
This is a full-time,
Grade 82, minimum $80,704 yearly, DOE, 12-month position complete with a competitive salary and UA employee benefits package. This position is open until filled with the initial application review taking place on June 1, 2020. To ensure your application is considered, apply by 11:55 pm, 5/31/2019. Applications received after this date may not be considered. A complete application will include a resume, cover letter, and contact information for three professional references.
This position is a term-funded position and is reviewed annually for contract renewal at the University's discretion.
Reasonable Accommodation Statement:
The University of Alaska (UA) is responsible for providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities throughout the applicant screening process. If you need assistance in completing this application or during any phase of the interview process, please contact UA Human Resources by phone at 907-450-8200.
Affirmative Action Statement:
UA is an AA/EO employer and educational institution and prohibits illegal discrimination against any individual:
The successful applicant is required to complete a background check. Any offer of employment is contingent on the background check.
Pursuant to University Regulation 04.07.020, new employees of the University are employed in an at-will probationary status for the first six months of employment. During the probationary period, employment may be terminated for no reason or any reason. Promoted employees also serve a probationary period with limited rights of retreat.
Public Disclosure Statement:
Your application for employment with the University of Alaska is subject to public disclosure under the Alaska Public Records Act.
University of Alaska is a Drug-Free Workplace.
University of Alaska campuses are Tobacco-Free.
It is the policy of the University of Alaska (UA) that all employees are required to complete training to meet the requirements of the positions they hold, and to complete the required training within a specified period to remain employed at the UA.
If you have any questions regarding this position, please contact University of Alaska HR at 907-450-8200.
Advertised: Alaskan Daylight Time 19 May 2020
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend