Are you a student with a positive attitude looking for a flexible long-term student job? Are you looking to gain more customer service skills to add to your resume or experience? If you are interested in the opportunity to gain valuable on-the-job experience and willing to perform the various duties as listed in this job announcement, we look forward to receiving an application from you.
1001) Motorist Assistance Program (MAP): Respond to calls for assistance such as vehicle jump starts and vehicle unlocks. Provide accurate and helpful information and assistance to the UAF on and off campus community and visitors. Report suspicious activities and assist in maintaining a safe campus, reporting any unsafe environmental issues. Maintain records of service calls and incidents.
2) Customer Service: Serve as primary information and inquiry point of contact in the field for students, staff, faculty and visitors. Assist customers by providing accurate information regarding parking or campus issues in an efficient, professional manner using diplomacy and tact. Present a positive attitude about UAF Parking at all times while working under stressful and sometimes hostile conditions.
3) Enforcement of UAF parking regulations on and off-campus locations by monitoring parking lots and issuing citations according to their assessment of the parking violation(s). Provide on-site instructions and assistance to motorists and pedestrians.
4) Technical: Load parking decal information for verification from the Flex database onto handheld computers for verification of UAF decals, license plates, outstanding citations and special permits. Upload information from handheld computers to Flex. Operate a digital camera, cell phone and field radio. Assist Parking Coordinator in performing parking meter and kiosk maintenance, testing and repair. Troubleshoot handheld malfunctions. Work with technical support (T2 and VenTek) to resolve problems. Computer skills sufficient to troubleshoot handhelds and kiosk machine malfunctions. Ability to create computer reports in order to provide required field reports.
5) Cash Handling: Assist Parking Coordinator in cash collection from parking meters and kiosks on a regular basis and transport to UAF Office of the Bursar. Assist in counting, balancing and preparing deposits, etc.
6) Monitor & Inspect: Post signage, place pylons for scheduled snow removal, lot maintenance and special events if requested. Note inoperative outlets, lighting, inappropriate barriers, missing or misleading signage, safety and service issues, reserved parking spots and lot maintenance.
7) Advise & Testify: Advise the Parking Coordinator of circumstances surrounding an incident, citation or appeal orally or written if requested.
8) Additional Duties: Other duties or special assignments as assigned or requested.Essential
About this position:
This is a part-time temporary student position up to 20 hours per week while school is in session. Additional hours may be available during winter/summer breaks.
This is a pool position and applicants will be reviewed on an as-needed basis.
The Student Parking Attendants serve to provide professional and responsive assistance to the UAF community by performing jump starts, door unlocks, and providing accurate and helpful information to the UAF community and visitors. While enforcing UAF parking regulations, the Student Parking Attendants strive to deliver the highest degree of customer service possible while encouraging compliance to parking rules and regulations.
These positions will have flexible hours between 8:00 am and 5:00 pm, Monday through Friday. The successful applicants will provide various types of support to the UAF community and may also perform special projects as assigned.
The Student Parking Attendant (SPA) reports to the Parking Coordinator which is part of UAF Office of the Bursar.
Starting hourly rate of pay: $12.50.
TYPICAL EDUCATION OR TRAINING:
High School Diploma or Equivalent
Valid Driver's License and ability to obtain a valid Alaska Driver's License
Basic computer training
- Exceptional customer service and communication skills
- Conflict resolution and ability to maintain confidentiality
- Ability to work outside in all types of weather and manually lift or move up to 50 lbs.
- Self-motivated and able to work with little supervision
- Ability to display professional demeanor and make consistent decisions being honest and trustworthy in all required duties
Computer skills and operation of office machines (basic knowledge and use)
- Ability to operate handheld devices, upload and download information to data base
- Must possess and maintain a valid Alaska Driver's License with an excellent driving history, and can safely operate a motor vehicle adhering to all applicable laws, statues and policies
- Applicants must be able to maintain a clean and neat appearance and be willing to wear a uniform
Sufficient to perform the responsibilities of the position and to have acquired the necessary knowledge, skills and abilities.
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Interested applicants must apply online. If you have difficulty applying for this posting, you may contact UAF Human Resources at (907) 474-7700.
Applicant should be enrolled as a student in a minimum of 6 credits with a minimum GPA of 2.0, or a newly enrolled student.
Please attach a cover letter, resume, names and contact information (email and phone number) for three (3) professional references.
Application Closing Date:
This is a pool position and applications will be reviewed on an as-needed basis. There is an initial review of applications; please see below.
Successful submission of an application does not guarantee employment; successful applicants will be contacted as positions become available.
Application Review Date:
To ensure consideration, please apply prior to 11:55 PM Alaska time on September 8, 2019, the next Review Date, to be considered. Applications received after this time and date may not be considered for this position. This recruitment is Open Until Filled.
Special Conditions of Employment:
Students must maintain enrollment and regular attendance for a minimum of at least 6 undergraduate credit hours or 6 graduate hours to be exempt from FICA (Social Security and Medicare) tax. A credit hour load below the minimum required for full-time student status will require the withholding of FICA tax (non-resident aliens on an appropriate visa who meet student employment criteria will continue to be exempt from FICA regardless of credit hour load). While in a student position, a student cannot hold any other type of simultaneous employment with the university.
The successful applicant is required to complete a background check. Any offer of employment is contingent on the background check.
Pursuant to Board of Regents’ Policy 04.01.055.B, temporary, extended temporary, adjunct, student, casual labor, regular new hire probationary employees and those positions designated by the president as officers and senior administrators of the university are employed at-will.
It is the policy of the University of Alaska Fairbanks that all employees are required to attend training to meet the requirements of the positions they hold, and to complete the required training within a specified period of time to remain employed at UAF. The policy can be located at: http://www.uaf.edu/chancellor/policy/04.07.010/
UAF Campus is a tobacco free campus. For more information, please go to: http://www.uaf.edu/tobaccofreecampus/
Notice of Nondiscrimination:
The University of Alaska is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer and educational institution. The University of Alaska does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, citizenship, age, sex, physical or mental disability, status as a protected veteran, marital status, changes in marital status, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions, parenthood, sexual orientation, gender identity, political affiliation or belief, genetic information, or other legally protected status. The University's commitment to nondiscrimination, including against sex discrimination, applies to students, employees, and applicants for admission and employment. Contact information, applicable laws, and complaint procedures are included on UA's statement of nondiscrimination available at www.alaska.edu/nondiscrimination