CT1 Painter/Maintenance Mechanic
Apply now Job no: 510640
Classification:Crafts & Trades I
Grade:Crafts & Trades T1
Work type: Crafts and Trades
Administrative Unit:University of Alaska Fairbanks
School/Business unit:Facilities Services
Categories: Facilities/Skilled Trades, Other
UAF Facilities Services is hiring Painter Maintenance Mechanics for the Carpenter Shop. If you have Apprentice level painter certification or 1-3 years experience and have detailing skills for level 3- 5, for this trade, this may be the job for you. Apply today to meet the review deadlines.
100 • Remove of coatings such as paint and wall paper.
• Preparation of surfaces using material such as sandpaper, paint remover, and steel wool and equipment such as wire brushes, scrapers and blow torches.
• Mixing of required portions of pigment, oil, and thinning and drying substances to prepare paint to specified color.
• Operate Computer based tinting and Color Match equipment.
• Apply coats of paint, varnish, stains, enamel, or lacquer to all types of interior or exterior building surfaces, building trim, windows, doors, machines, metal shelving, and equipment by brushing, rolling or spray painting.
• Apply wall coverings.
• Refinish hardwood floors, shelving and wood furniture. Preform ancillary protective work such as erecting barriers, posting signage, masking baseboards, door frames, and windows; placing drop cloths; and removing pictures, switch plates, and outlet covers.
• Inspect buildings, facilities and equipment to ascertain required repairs, and make recommendations.
• Erect scaffolding and ladders.
• Perform work from ladders, elevated platforms and rooftops. Inspect work site for planned work's impact on associated trades and professionals and consults with others to ensure safety.
• Inspects and performs various maintenance, repair, and construction tasks for compliance with applicable work orders, regulations, codes, and professional practices.
• Perform preventative and corrective maintenance on building components, vehicles, and specialized equipment.
• Demonstrates appropriate work methods to other employees including proper safety measures.
• Obtains needed information or decisions from supervisor as needed.
• Ensures that hazards are removed from buildings and grounds including snow, ice, debris, animal wastes, construction materials, and other items as required.
• Installs floor coverings, wall coverings, sheet rock, and furnishings such as shelving, window coverings, door seals, and institutional support equipment.
• Perform nonstructural repairs to walls, floors, ceilings, wall surfaces, and finishes.
• Operates and inspects conventional and airless sprayers, compressors, and sandblasting equipment.
• Assist in remodeling and new construction.
• Interact with customers in a courteous manner.
• Perform related duties as assigned.
• Willingness to work in an environment containing Asbestos with proper training and equipment provided. Essential
**Work in the UAF Facilities Services Carpenter Shop as a painter offers the opportunity for an apprentice painter to provide a much needed service to the University. Applying protective coatings to the surfaces not only protects our buildings but it adds to the overall appearance and thereby enhances the appeal of the University as a whole. Painters are afforded the opportunity to take trade related courses that will improve their knowledge of the painting profession. Under general supervision, employee may routinely perform a variety of skilled maintenance, repair, and construction tasks in a variety of trades requiring at least apprentice level skills in any one of the trades practiced.
Painters are afforded the opportunity to take trade related courses that will improve their knowledge of the painting profession. Under general supervision, employee may routinely perform a variety of skilled maintenance, repair, and construction tasks in a variety of trades requiring at least apprentice level skills in any one of the trades practiced.
Additional position details:
Must be able to perform duties by following blood borne pathogen rules and work practices when exposed or potentially exposed to human waste products.
Must possess, or be able to obtain within 6 months, a State of Alaska 16 Hour Certificate of Fitness and or certification for (abating) (performing operations and maintenance tasks on) asbestos containing building materials.
Must be able to pass initial and annual OSHA asbestos physical.
The employee may frequently lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
The physical demands described in the job classification description for Craft and Trades I:
Ability to pass an OSHA respirator physical and quantitative fit test, for use of a half/full face air purifying respirator and a self-contained breathing apparatus, and perform duties wearing this equipment.
Ability to perform duties in confined spaces, hot/cold/humid environments, while bending/stooping/laying, and on elevated platforms or ladders.
Operate computer operated Tinting and Color match equipment.
Specific vision abilities required by this job may include close vision, distance vision, color vision, night vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
Knowledge of the following methods and or practices: Items relating to the Painting Trade - *Safety precautions (for both workers and the public) related to the use of paint in interior places; *Hazard and safety precautions related to chemicals used in the trade; *Reading and Interpreting blue prints, charts, and technical instructions; *Proper use of hand tools and power equipment used in the trade; *Lifting and carrying of heavy objects; *and work in confined spaces and work using ladders, elevated platforms and roof tops.
**Open to All Applicants**
This is a University of Alaska Local 6070 union represented position. Current University of Alaska Local 6070 employees will be provided priority employment considerations for the first 5 days, when they meet the minimum qualifications for the posted position. Current University of Alaska Local 6070 employees who meet the minimum qualifications for the posting should apply before the review date. However, there is no requirement to be a Bargaining Member in order to apply.
Applications must be received prior to 11:55 PM Alaska time on
to be considered. Applications received after this time and date may not be considered for this position. 11/27/2018
Salary Information: This position is a Regular full-time benefited position. Grade _CT1/Step 7; $22.34/per hour.
Please provide a cover letter, resume, and contact information for three professional references with your application. Within your cover letter please state whether or not you have or can obtain an Alaska Driver’s License upon hire. Application Process:
Background Check: The successful applicant is required to complete a background check. Any offer of employment is contingent on the background check.
L6070- At-will: Pursuant to Article 1.7 of the Local 6070 Collective Bargaining Agreement, upon initial hire Local 6070 Bargaining Unit Members are probationary for the first six (6) months of work. During the probationary period, employment may be terminated for no reason or any reason.
Union Representation: This position is represented by the Alaska Higher Education Crafts & Trades Employees (L6070).
Training Policy: It is the policy of the University of Alaska Fairbanks that all employees are required to attend training to meet the requirements of the positions they hold, and to complete the required training within a specified period of time to remain employed at UAF. The policy can be located at: http://www.uaf.edu/chancellor/policy/04.07.010/
Tobacco-Free Campus: UAF Campus is a tobacco free campus. For more information, please go to: http://www.uaf.edu/tobaccofreecampus/
Notice of Nondiscrimination: The University of Alaska is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer and educational institution. The University of Alaska does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, citizenship, age, sex, physical or mental disability, status as a protected veteran, marital status, changes in marital status, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions, parenthood, sexual orientation, gender identity, political affiliation or belief, genetic information, or other legally protected status. The University's commitment to nondiscrimination, including against sex discrimination, applies to students, employees, and applicants for admission and employment. Contact information, applicable laws, and complaint procedures are included on UA's statement of nondiscrimination available at www.alaska.edu/nondiscrimination
Advertised: Alaskan Standard Time 08 Nov 2018
Applications close: Alaskan Standard Time
27 Nov 2018
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend