Fiscal Technician 4
Apply now Job no: 509988
Classification:Fiscal Technician 4
Work type: Staff Full-time
Administrative Unit:University of Alaska Fairbanks
School/Business unit:UAF Financial Services
Categories: Administrative/Personnel, Business/Accounting/Finance, Other
The UAF Office of Finance and Accounting is looking for an energetic and organized person to join our team! This position is tasked with a variety of important functions, including tax compliance and reporting, working with accounts payable, and coordination of critical financial processes. The successful applicant will bring a dynamic and energetic attitude and a strong commitment to improving and streamlining existing processes to better serve our stake-holders.
45 (1) 1099-MISC federal compliance and reporting: Final review of W-9 forms received from vendors to ensure correct tax classification on forms and required information received. Ensures W-9''s are accurately set up in Banner and makes updates or corrections as needed. Maintains W-9 forms and addresses for year end processing.
(2) Audits journal vouchers (JV) to ensure compliance with Statewide Accounting procedures and federal policies. Analyzes and resolves any incorrect charges being made to restricted and unrestricted funds. Aids with JV entry into Banner. Assists in the preparation of prior year JV''s for data archiving throughout the fiscal year.
(3) Prepares and maintains UAF''s portion of the annual l Unrelated Business Income Tax (UBIT) Report. Works with UAF departments to ensure accurate and timely reporting. Submits final report to Statewide Fund Accounting for transmission to the IRS.
(4) Reviews and corrects program code and org/fund mismatches. Makes necessary corrections to Year to Date (YTD) transactions and encumbrances. Develops and maintains error queries and report, and work with units to review and correct transaction accounting errors.
(5) Receives Accounts Payable checks and matches with backup on file. Verifies the accuracy of the payment to the vendor and that the check is mailed to correct address.
(6) Maintains log of returned and pulled payroll checks for all of UAF and rural sites. Contacts departmental PPA''s for live check pickup. Ensures signature authority is on file authorizing individual to pick up payroll checks. Sends returned payroll auto deposit advice to appropriate PPA.
(7) Responsible for the procurement of office supplies and equipment for AP, B&CR, and Travel Departments. Orders, receives, and verifies delivery of equipment purchased through ProCard and Limited Purchase Orders. Maintains ProCard for department and reconciles transactions through Pathway Net. Essential
5 Serves as backup for PPA for: VCAS and Financial Services (approximately 60 employees). Duties include:
1) Reviews payroll in Banner after payroll run to ensure staff were paid correctly. Notify UAF Payroll staff of discrepancies;
5) Prepares and submits Job Forms as required/requested. Essential
50 (1) Serves as UAF nonresident alien (NRA) tax compliance officer for all student scholarships, fellowships, and awards totaling over $1M each calendar year. Duties include:
(a) Responsible for performing the substantial presences test for all NRA students to determine their legal residency status and UAF''s obligation to withhold taxes;
(b) Analyzes, reviews, and applies tax treaties for eligible NRA students;
(c) Reviews IRS income tax withholding regulations and incorporates it into UAF policy to ensure federal compliance;
(d) Coordinates with units for potential gross-up of tax withholding for UAF originating scholarships and fellowships;
(e) Coordinates and communicates with the Business Office and Accounts Payable on mandatory tax withholding from payments to NRA student accounts;
(f) Maintains the database of legal record for IRS 1042-S reporting;
(g) Calculates withheld taxes from student accounts and JV''s to Statewide for batch transmittal to the IRS;
(h) Communicates complicated tax regulations clearly to students to ensure they understand why the tax is withheld, how it is calculated, and to provide detailed information needed for filing their tax return;
(i) Works with the Office of International Programs to assist new NRA students in obtaining a SSN/ITIN in order to take advantage of potential tax treaties.
2) Serves as UAF NRA tax compliance officer for all Honoria, travel, and vendor payments to foreign entities and visiting foreign nationals, totaling approximately $3M each calendar year. Duties include:
a) Analyzes, reviews, and applies tax treaties for payments to eligible foreign entities or visiting foreign nationals;
b) Reviews IRS income tax withholding regulations and incorporates it into UAF policy to ensure federal compliance;
c) Assists foreign companies with SS-4 applications to the IRS to obtain employer identification numbers (EIN) and provide them with the necessary information for IRS tax forms and filing procedures;
d) Coordinates and communicates with units on mandatory tax withholding from payments, as well as verifies all gross-up tax withholdings are correctly calculated and JV''d to Financial Services;
e) Maintains the database of legal record for IRS 1042-S reporting;
f) Calculates withheld taxes from payments and/or units and JV''s to Statewide for transmittal to the IRS.
3) Participates in the NRA Workteam and NRA Financial Workteam to aid in the development of UA systemwide procedures and forms related to NRA''s and foreign entities. Responsible for training staff and units on tax issues, tax treaty benefits, procedures, and use of forms. Essential
THIS RECRUITMENT IS OPEN INTERNAL TO CURRENT UA EMPLOYEES AS A PROMOTIONAL OPPORTUNITY OR THOSE OTHERWISE ELIGIBLE TO APPLY TO INTERNAL POSTINGS.
About this position:
Position is Non-Exempt, Full-Time Regular. Salary is Grade 78, minimum $23.60 hourly, DOE.
Thorough accounting, payroll, and record keeping knowledge.
In-depth knowledge of Banner Finance, Excel, Accounts Receivable and problem solving skills. Comprehensive understanding of and ability to interpret complex IRS publications pertaining to nonresident aliens.
Education and/or Training Required for This Position:
Associate's degree in applied Accounting or related field or the equivalent in education and/or experience.
Type and Length of Experience Required for This Position:
3 years of relevant experience or equivalent combination of training and experience.
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Interested applicants must apply online. If you need assistance applying to this posting, please contact UAF Office of Human Resources at 907-474-7700. To ensure consideration, please apply prior to the
Initial Review Date.
Please attach a comprehensive resume, cover letter and names and contact information (address, email and phone number) for three (3) professional references.
APPLICATION CLOSING DATE:
Applications must be received prior to 11:55 PM Alaska Standard Time on
August 14, 2018, the Initial Review Date, to be considered. Applications received after this time and date may not be considered for this position. This recruitment is open until filled.
The successful applicant is required to complete a background check. Any offer of employment is contingent on the background check.
Pursuant to University Regulation 04.07.020, new employees of the University are employed in an at-will probationary status for the first six months of employment. During the probationary period, employment may be terminated for no reason or any reason. Promoted employees also serve a probationary period with limited rights of retreat.
It is the policy of the University of Alaska Fairbanks that all employees are required to attend training to meet the requirements of the positions they hold, and to complete the required training within a specified period of time to remain employed at UAF. The policy can be located at:
UAF Campus is a tobacco free campus. For more information, please go to:
Notice of Nondiscrimination:
The University of Alaska is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer and educational institution. The University of Alaska does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, citizenship, age, sex, physical or mental disability, status as a protected veteran, marital status, changes in marital status, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions, parenthood, sexual orientation, gender identity, political affiliation or belief, genetic information, or other legally protected status. The University's commitment to nondiscrimination, including against sex discrimination, applies to students, employees, and applicants for admission and employment. Contact information, applicable laws, and complaint procedures are included on UA's statement of nondiscrimination available at
Advertised: Alaskan Daylight Time 09 Aug 2018
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend