Fall 2018 Resident Assistant for Department of Residence Life. The Resident Assistant (RA) is a student member of the Department of Residence Life. He/she is responsible for working closely with staff and students in creating and maintaining an atmosphere that promotes student development and acceptance of diversity through group living in University residence halls. The Resident Assistant will assume specific responsibility for a designated area within the residence hall. The position carries part-time, live-in responsibilities with appointment made on a yearly basis.
The Resident Assistant (RA) is a student member of the Department of Residence Life. He/she is responsible for working closely with staff and students in creating and maintaining an atmosphere that promotes student development and acceptance of diversity through group living in University residence halls. The Resident Assistant will assume specific responsibility for a designated area within the residence hall. The position carries part-time, live-in responsibilities with appointment made on a yearly basis.
Student Assistant B, $9.50/hour, $236 bi-weekly stipend, room scholarship, and reduced meal plan.
RESIDENT ASSISTANT RESPONSIBILITIES
Each Resident Assistant works with a diverse group of students. The RA responsibilities incorporate student personnel services and residence hall operations, which are carried out under the supervision and with the help of the hall supervisor. The RA is a role model and a catalyst for positive social interaction within the residence hall community. Critical skills:
- Demonstrate leadership potential and or previous leadership experience.
- Ability to communicate effectively in English (both verbally and written) with all types of people.
- Ability to understand work to be done, organize that work and complete work in a timely manner.
- Ability to analyze information, problem solve and use sound judgment in decision making.
- Ability to work independently as well as collaboratively.
- Knowledge of basic computer software such as word processing
- Ability to work a minimum of 3 week nights starting at 7:00pm and ending at 8:00am not including Friday or Saturday in those week nights.
- Organizational skills
- Positive attitude
- A commitment of one full academic year (or the reminder of such at the time of hire.)
- Applicant must have a cumulative and semester grade point average of 2.3 or above (3.0 grad.) at time of application and hire.
- Applicant must be a full-time student at UAF (12 undergraduate credits / 9 graduate credits).
- Applicant may not be on academic probation nor any form of University or residential disciplinary probation.
- Applicant must be available to maintain a schedule that ensures student contact, particularly during evening hours and weekends.
- Student teachers, Teachers Assistants, and varsity athletes are not eligible for RA positions due to time commitments.
- Applicant must have unrestricted employment authorization in the United States.
- Resident Assistants are not permitted to have any other employment (except military duty) while employed as an RA.
- Applicant must be able to lift and carry 15 pounds.
- Applicant must be able to identify individuals from a minimum of 10 feet away.
- Applicants must be able to walk up and down 8 flights of stairs.
- Applicants must complete all UAF Safety Training (including FERPA, Minors On Campus, & Title IX) within two weeks of hire date.
- At the time of hire, must have applied for housing through the Department of Residence Life and paid deposit and application fees.
Must be available to work for the duration of the RA contract period, beginning August 10, 2018 at 9:30am through May 7, 2019 at 6:00pm. Contract dates are subject to change. Interviews will be held Saturday, February 17, 2018.
To ensure consideration, please apply by February 11 at 11:55pm. Applications received after that date will only be considered if all available positions are not filled from the first pool of applicants.
Preference is given to applicants with a minimum of two semesters of community living experience prior to their term of employment.
Please attach a resume, cover letter, and names and contact information (email and phone number) for three (3) professional references. Even though you will enter them on your online application, please include the names and contact information of your 3 professional references on your resume or upload as a separate document.
A supplemental application, including questions and personal references, must be completed by position closing date, Sunday February 11th, 2018 at 11:55pm.
You can also find by going to RA Supplemental Application on the Department of Residence Life website https://uaf.edu/files/reslife/files/Supplemental-Application---RA.pdf or by stopping by the Residence Life Central Office. These can be turned in to the Residence Life Central Office or emailed to MaryEllen Cottle (email@example.com).
If you need assistance applying to this posting, please contact UAF Office of Human Resources at 907-474-7700.
Students must maintain enrollment and regular attendance for a minimum of at least 6 undergraduate credit hours or 6 graduate credit hours to be exempt from FICA (Social Security and Medicare) tax. A credit hour load below the minimum required for full-time student status will require the withholding of FICA tax (non-resident aliens on an appropriate visa who meet student employment criteria will continue to be exempt from FICA regardless of credit hour load).
While in this student position, a student cannot hold any other type of simultaneous employment. Applicants must have a minimum 2.3 semester and cumulative GPA as of Fall 2017 grade posting or be a newly enrolled student. GPA must be maintained after Spring 2018 grade posting and every future semester of employment as a Resident Assistant (RA).
Background Check: The successful applicant may be required to complete a background check. Any offer of employment is contingent on the background check.
At-Will: Pursuant to Board of Regents’ Policy 04.01.055.B, temporary, extended temporary, adjunct, student, casual labor, regular new hire probationary employees and those positions designated by the president as officers and senior administrators of the university are employed at-will.
Training Policy: It is the policy of the University of Alaska Fairbanks that all employees are required to attend training to meet the requirements of the positions they hold, and to complete the required training within a specified period of time to remain employed at UAF. The policy can be located at: http://www.uaf.edu/chancellor/policy/04.07.010/
Drug-Free Workplace: Pursuant to Board of Regent’ Policy 04.02.040, the University of Alaska is a DrugFree Workplace. This prohibits the unlawful manufacture, distribution, dispensing, possession, or use by an employee of a controlled substance in any workplace of the university.
Tobacco-Free Campus: UAF Campus is a tobacco free campus. For more information, please go to: http://www.uaf.edu/tobaccofreecampus/
Notice of Nondiscrimination:
The University of Alaska is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer and educational institution. The University of Alaska does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, citizenship, age, sex, physical or mental disability, status as a protected veteran, marital status, changes in marital status, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions, parenthood, sexual orientation, gender identity, political affiliation or belief, genetic information, or other legally protected status. The University's commitment to nondiscrimination, including against sex discrimination, applies to students, employees, and applicants for admission and employment. Contact information, applicable laws, and complaint procedures are included on UA's statement of nondiscrimination available at www.alaska.edu/nondiscrimination