Facilities Services Extended Temporary CT1 Painter
Apply now Job no: 508222
Classification:Crafts & Trades I
Grade:Crafts & Trades T1
Work type: Crafts and Trades
Administrative Unit:University of Alaska Fairbanks
School/Business unit:Facilities Services
Categories: Facilities/Skilled Trades
Extended Temp Apprentice CT1 Painter (3 positions) working in the Facilities Services Carpentry Shop. Must possess Hazardous Painters Card and have apprentice level painter certification or 1-3 year experience in the painting trade.
100 • Remove of coatings such as paint and wall paper.
• Preparation of surfaces using material such as sandpaper, paint remover, and steel wool and equipment such as wire brushes, scrapers and blow torches.
• Mixing of required portions of pigment, oil, and thinning and drying substances to prepare paint to specified color.
• Operate Computer based tinting and Color Match equipment.
• Apply coats of paint, varnish, stains, enamel, or lacquer to all types of interior or exterior building surfaces, building trim, windows, doors, machines, metal shelving, and equipment by brushing, rolling or spray painting.
• Apply wall coverings.
• Refinish hardwood floors, shelving and wood furniture. Preform ancillary protective work such as erecting barriers, posting signage, masking baseboards, door frames, and windows; placing drop cloths; and removing pictures, switch plates, and outlet covers.
• Inspect buildings, facilities and equipment to ascertain required repairs, and make recommendations.
• Erect scaffolding and ladders.
• Perform work from ladders, elevated platforms and rooftops. Inspect work site for planned work''s impact on associated trades and professionals and consults with others to ensure safety.
Inspects and performs various maintenance, repair, and construction tasks for compliance with applicable work orders, regulations, codes, and professional practices.
• Demonstrates appropriate work methods to other employees including proper safety measures.
• Obtains needed information or decisions from supervisor as needed.
• Ensures that hazards are removed from buildings and grounds including snow, ice, debris, animal wastes, construction materials, and other items as required.
• Installs floor coverings, wall coverings, sheet rock, and furnishings such as shelving, window coverings, door seals, and institutional support equipment.
• Perform nonstructural repairs to walls, floors, ceilings, wall surfaces, and finishes.
• Operates and inspects conventional and airless sprayers, compressors, and sandblasting equipment.
• Assist in remodeling and new construction.
• Interact with customers in a courteous manner.
• Perform related duties as assigned.
• Willingness to work in an environment containing Asbestos with proper training and equipment provided.
• Skills and abilities to complete surfaces to Level F5. Essential
This is a University of Alaska Local 6070 union represented position. Current University of Alaska Local 6070 employees will be provided priority employment considerations for the first 5 days, when they meet the minimum qualifications for the posted position. Current University of Alaska Local 6070 employees who meet the minimum qualifications for the posting should apply before the review date. However, there is no requirement to be a Bargaining Member in order to apply. The successful candidate will be required to join L6070.
Applications must be received prior to 11:55 PM Alaska time on
11/21/2017 to be considered. Applications received after this time and date may not be considered for this position.
This position is an Extended Temporary full-time position for up to 18 months, minimal benefits.
Grade _CT1/Step 7; $22.34/per hour. Labor Union represented, dues collected per paycheck.
Work in the UAF Facilities Services Carpenter Shop as a painter offers the opportunity for an apprentice painter to provide a much needed service to the University. Applying protective coatings to the surfaces not only protects our buildings but it adds to the overall appearance and thereby enhances the appeal of the University as a whole.
Items relating to the Painting Trade; Safety precautions (for both workers and the public) related to the use of paint in interior places; hazard and safety precautions related to chemicals used in the trade. Reading and Interpreting blue prints, charts, and technical instructions. Proper use of hand tools and power equipment used in the trade. Lifting and carrying of heavy objects; and work in confined spaces and work using ladders, elevated platforms and roof tops.
Please provide a cover letter, resume, and contact information for three professional references with your application. Within your cover letter please state whether or not you have or can obtain an Alaska Driver’s License upon hire. Application Process:
The successful applicant is required to complete a background check. Any offer of employment is contingent on the background check. Background Check:
L6070- At-will: Pursuant to Article 1.7 of the Local 6070 Collective Bargaining Agreement, upon initial hire Local 6070 Bargaining Unit Members are probationary for the first six (6) months of work. During the probationary period, employment may be terminated for no reason or any reason.
L6070 - Dues: This position is part of the Alaska Higher Education Crafts & Trades Employees (L6070) union and is subject to agency fee and union dues as a condition of employment in a collective bargaining unit.
It is the policy of the University of Alaska Fairbanks that all employees are required to attend training to meet the requirements of the positions they hold, and to complete the required training within a specified period of time to remain employed at UAF. The policy can be located at: Training Policy: http://www.uaf.edu/chancellor/policy/04.07.010/
UAF Campus is a tobacco free campus. For more information, please go to: Tobacco-Free Campus: http://www.uaf.edu/tobaccofreecampus/
The University of Alaska is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer and educational institution. The University of Alaska does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, citizenship, age, sex, physical or mental disability, status as a protected veteran, marital status, changes in marital status, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions, parenthood, sexual orientation, gender identity, political affiliation or belief, genetic information, or other legally protected status. The University's commitment to nondiscrimination, including against sex discrimination, applies to students, employees, and applicants for admission and employment. Contact information, applicable laws, and complaint procedures are included on UA's statement of nondiscrimination available at Notice of Nondiscrimination: www.alaska.edu/nondiscrimination
Advertised: Alaskan Standard Time 08 Nov 2017
Applications close: Alaskan Standard Time
21 Nov 2017
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend