The Department of Recreation, Adventure and Wellness is comprised of the Student Recreation Center, Outdoor Adventures, Patty Ice Arena, and the Patty pool. We are looking for adventurous students to join the team at Outdoor Adventures.
The Department of Recreation, Adventure and Wellness is comprised of the Student Recreation Center and Outdoor Adventures. We are currently seeking qualified candidates for the Outdoor Adventures Student Assistant Position. This position will assist with all aspects of the Outdoor Adventures Program from trips, equipment rental and climbing operations.
This position will assist in the planning and implementation of outdoor trips, and classes. This is includes but is not limited to equipment and food preparation as well as participant registration and tracking. Additionally the position will assist with the Outdoor Adventures equipment rental operation. This includes but is not limited to checking equipment out an in and the cleaning and maintenance of the equipment inventory. The OA student may also assist with programming at the climbing wall including but not limited to climbing instruction, wall maintenance, and route setting both ice an rock. All applicants must be willing to work nights and weekends.
Knowledge, skills and abilities required for this position:
1. Student at the University of Alaska Fairbanks.
2. Ability to operate independently within departmental standards of conduct and professional expectations with proper training, awareness of risk management and safety concerns.
3. Ability to work during the summer.
4. Excellent customer service skills.
5. Reasonable level of physical fitness.
6. Dependability, responsibility, and punctuality.
7. Professional attire and behavior.
8. Awareness of and appreciation for individual uniqueness and diversity.
9. Knowledge of, and/or interest in, recreation and fitness activities.
10. Enthusiasm, desire to learn, and desire to work as part of a team.
Additional requirements OA Student Assistant:
1. Valid Driver's License and Clean Driving Record.
2. Past outdoor experience both rock and ice in both natural and artificial settings.
3. Ability to operate independently within departmental standards of conduct and professional expectations with proper training, awareness of risk management and safety concerns.
4. Ability to obtain certifications in CPR, Standard First Aid, and the use of an Automated External Defibrillator.
Preferred knowledge, skills or abilities for this position:
1. Background in Outdoor Recreation.
2. Ability to work during the academic year.
3. Previous experience working with and/or participating in Outdoor Adventures.
4. Medical training
5. Wilderness First Responder
6. PCIA of AMGA Climbing Wall Instructor certification
Please submit a resume, cover letter and contact information (prefer telephone and email) for three professional or academic references.
If you need assistance applying to this posting, please contact UAF Office of Human Resources at 907-474-7700.
NOTICE: Students must maintain enrollment and regular attendance for a minimum of at least 6 undergraduate credit hours or 6 graduate credit hours to be exempt from FICA (Social Security and Medicare) tax. A credit hour load below the minimum required for full-time student status will require
the withholding of FICA tax (non-resident aliens on an appropriate visa who meet student employment criteria will continue to be exempt from FICA regardless of credit hour load). While in a student position, a student cannot hold any other type of simultaneous employment with the university.
The successful applicant may be required to complete a background check. Any offer of employment is contingent on the background check.
Pursuant to Board of Regents’ Policy 04.01.055.B, temporary, extended temporary, adjunct, student, casual labor, regular new hire probationary employees and those positions designated by the president as officers and senior administrators of the university are employed at-will.
It is the policy of the University of Alaska Fairbanks that all employees are required to attend training to meet the requirements of the positions they hold, and to complete the required training within a specified period of time to remain employed at UAF. The policy can be located at: http://www.uaf.edu/chancellor/policy/04.07.010/
Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action:
The University of Alaska is an equal employment opportunity/affirmative action employer and educational institution. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, creed, national origin, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, physical or mental disability, marital status, changes in marital status, pregnancy or parenthood, genetic code or retaliation.
Pursuant to Board of Regent’ Policy 04.02.040, the University of Alaska is a Drug-Free Workplace. This prohibits the unlawful manufacture, distribution, dispensing, possession, or use by an employee of a controlled substance in any workplace of the university.