We are seeking UAF undergraduate students to fill primarily service and clerical positions. Usual duties may include being the departmental initial point of contact, answering phones, filing, maintaining databases, and operating office equipment.
Applicants must be currently enrolled in 6 or more credit hours and must maintain a 2.0 GPA or higher.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
These duties will vary based on position:
- Assist with the upkeep and generation of confidential files, technical/educational materials, publications, display materials, presentation materials and other related items.
- May be responsible for the timely production and publication articles and stories.
- Solid understanding of databases methodology to design and use new databases.Conduct onsite and offsite tours.
- Assist with the development and engineering of software.
- Assist in desktop and network troubleshooting, support.
- Provide computer consulting for University faculty, staff and students.
- Perform maintenance on microcomputers and accessories
- Assist with development, production and maintenance of web pages and sites.
- Create graphics for the web.
- Carry out work in the field and in the laboratory. Laboratory work will include duties such as sample preparation, washing glassware.
- Perform data entry into spreadsheets databases. Look for anomalies and errors in data.
- Ability to use the UA Banner system to enter accurately and look up information and data.
- Perform maintenance and repair of vehicles, scientific equipment, motors, pumps, building and/or maintaining fencing, storage sheds, cages, and assorted construction duties.
- Collect and maintain research data, data entry, travel to research sites, expediter duties, operating research equipment, moving supplies and equipment.
- Assist in creating and maintaining complex system software, at the direction of the system administrators. This software might be layered software packages, system utilities, or other system applications.
- Write and design technical documentation.
Required Skills and Experience:
- High School Diploma or equivalent.As the first point of contact, the student must exhibit a high degree of professionalism.
- Must communicate effectively verbally and in writing.
- Must be comfortable speaking to a variety of audiences.
- Excellent interpersonal skills. Ability to work effectively in a fast-paced environment.
- Competency with Microsoft Office Suite.
- Ability to prioritize and use good judgment.
- Ability to multi-task. Must have strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Working knowledge of maintaining databases.
- High degree of independence and problem-solving ability required.
This position is a 00_C (Step 1: $10.50/hour), Salary is commensurate with experience.
If you need further information or assistance with applying for this position please contact the Geophysical Institute Human Resources Office at 474-7999.
The successful applicant may be required to complete a background check. Any offer of employment is contingent on the background check.
Pursuant to Board of Regents’ Policy 04.01.055.B, temporary, extended temporary, adjunct, student, casual labor, regular new hire probationary employees and those positions designated by the president as officers and senior administrators of the university are employed at-will.
It is the policy of the University of Alaska Fairbanks that all employees are required to attend training to meet the requirements of the positions they hold, and to complete the required training within a specified period of time to remain employed at UAF. The policy can be located at: http://www.uaf.edu/chancellor/policy/04.07.010/
Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action:
The University of Alaska is an equal employment opportunity/affirmative action employer and educational institution. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, creed, national origin, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, physical or mental disability, marital status, changes in marital status, pregnancy or parenthood, genetic code or retaliation.
Pursuant to Board of Regent’ Policy 04.02.040, the University of Alaska is a Drug-Free Workplace. This prohibits the unlawful manufacture, distribution, dispensing, possession, or use by an employee of a controlled substance in any workplace of the university.