Field Technician & Analyst
Apply now Job no: 506140
Classification:Research Technician 4
Work type: Staff Full-time
Administrative Unit:University of Alaska Fairbanks
School/Business unit:Geophysical Institute
Position Summary: The Wilson Alaska Technical Center is looking for a field technician and analyst. This position will assist with the continuous operation and maintenance of seismic and infrasound monitoring stations in support of the Comprehensive Nuclear-Test-Ban Treaty. Duties will involve fieldwork in often remote locations, analysis and research of seismo-acoustic data, and scientific instrument testing and maintenance.
At UAF, duties will involve fieldwork preparations, sensor testing and calibration, maintenance logistics, and reporting requirements. The successful applicant will regularly analyze seismic and infrasound data, develop scripts to monitor data quality and state-of-health, and design and implement automated notification tools. Seismo-acoustic research and travel to conferences and meetings is also expected. Field-based activities will involve maintenance of seismic and infrasound stations in often remote field locations such as Antarctica, Alaska, Pacific Islands, etc.
To apply for this position, please provide a cover letter, resume, and contact information for three professional references with your application. Candidates will be notified in advance if references will be contacted. The review of this posting will start on June 30, 2017, at 11:55 PM Alaska Time. Applications received after this date may not be considered.
Background Check :
The successful applicant is required to complete a background check. Any offer of employment is contingent on the background check.
Term Position :
This position is a term-funded position and is reviewed annually for contract renewal at the University's discretion.
Pursuant to University Regulation 04.07.020, new employees of the University are employed in an at-will probationary status for the first six months of employment. During the probationary period, employment may be terminated for no reason or any reason. Promoted employees also serve a probationary period with limited rights of retreat.
Training Policy :
It is the policy of the University of Alaska Fairbanks that all employees are required to attend training to meet the requirements of the positions they hold, and to complete the required training within a specified period of time to remain employed at UAF. The policy can be located at: http://www.uaf.edu/chancellor/policy/04.07.010/
Tobacco-Free Campus :
UAF Campus is a tobacco free campus. For more information, please go to: http://www.uaf.edu/tobaccofreecampus/
Advertised: Alaskan Daylight Time 02 Jun 2017
10 Scientific Instrument Construction, Maintenance, Operation, and Calibration include:
* familiarity with basic physical principles and advanced knowledge of engineering and electronic principles
* perform calibration of acoustic and seismic sensors in remote locations, and at UAF
* assessing required repairs and prioritization of repairs in remote locations Essential
30 CTBTO IMS Infrasound and Seismic Station O&M may include:
* perform scheduled and preventative maintenance on the UAF IMS stations
* participate in QA/SOH monitoring of UAF IMS stations
* responsibility for meeting reporting requirements for IMS station operation
* interacting directly with CTBTO IMS and IDC representatives
* interacting directly with Sandia National Labs and other UAF subcontractors on NACT engineering tasks
* responsibility as a designated regular user of CTBTO IDC data (including data security) by the US DoD/DoS
* perform unscheduled maintenance of IMS stations
* meet reporting requirements to DTRA/CTBTO
* participate in data collection mission of DTRA/CTBTO
* update CTBTO and UAF inventory tracking systems
* participate in field technician training with UAF and other peer university personnel Essential
60 CTBTO IMS Infrasound and Seismic station monitoring and research includes:
*participate in and lead research efforts to ensure operational performance of CTBTO stations
*analyze workflow and monitoring efforts
*design and maintain station monitoring tools
*track logistics and life cycle management issues at stations
*travel to conferences and meetings to present research results
*participate in preparing publication of research products Essential
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend