Service Desk Technician
Apply now Job no: 505983
Classification:Information Systems Technician - Networks 6
Work type: Staff Full-time
Administrative Unit:University of Alaska Fairbanks
School/Business unit:UAF Office Information Technology
Categories: Information Systems/Technology
Position Summary: The Office of Information Technology (OIT) Customer Support Services team seeks a Service Desk Technician. Serve as the first point of contact for any UA student, staff, or faculty member experiencing issues with technology.
Have strong interpersonal skills and an advanced understanding of how a computer and its accessories work. Be able to diagnose and repair computing problems over the phone and in person in a professional and courteous manner. Communicate effectively highly technical information and ideas to non-technical person. Use hand tools and lift or move 50 pounds. Experience in installing, configuring, using and problem solving computer applications.
Must be capable of working across functional boundaries.
Able to adopt and work within OIT processes informed by ITSM best practices frameworks. Must work within OIT's culture of accountability, fully embracing cultural beliefs and working within those to achieve aligned results
Required: A current and valid Alaska Driver's License or able to obtain by date of hire.
Desired: Major industry standard certificates(s). Acute thoroughness and attention to detail. Excellent interpersonal skills.
Preferred: Have a deep understanding in software, hardware, peripherals, operating systems and network software. Be familiar with University of Alaska Fairbanks computing resources and environment.
Ability to work with customers in stressful, time-sensitive environment. Ability to closely follow established security policies. Demonstrated experience providing excellent customer service.
Typical Education or Training:
Two-year degree in Information Technology Systems or related field, or equivalent work experience.
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Review date: 5/19/17
To ensure consideration, please apply prior to the review date.
Please submit cover letter, resume and three (3) professional references.
This position is a term-funded position through June 30, 2017 and is reviewed annually for contract renewal at the University’s discretion.
Advertised: Alaskan Daylight Time 05 May 2017
10 Training and Documentation:
Serve as subject matter guide on all consumer hardware and on enterprise grade desktops, printers, and laptops
• Train faculty, staff, and students on the proper use and configuration of OIT technology and services
• Maintain OIT wiki by documenting fixes and processes Essential
20 Systems Configuration:
Test and evaluate software to ensure compatibility and security with existing university systems
• Maintain UAF and SW Active Directory structures by crafting and maintaining: Group Policies, Computer Objects, and Groups
• Work with Systems Engineering group to operate and ensure functionality of systems crucial to supporting thousands of endpoint devices including: Essential
70 Endpoint Support:
Provide premier customer service while evaluating, diagnosing, and solving problems with printers, POS devices, or mobile devices as well as Mac, Windows, or Linux endpoints
• Independently research and resolve complex problems under minimal supervision
• Utilize service management or project management tool to document all work completed
• Provide first tier support for all smart classroom AV technology
• Assist OIT Service Desk in overflow capacity
• Install Windows and Mac OS’s, ensure all systems are in a actively configured state, and ensures proper security measures are carried out at a user level
• Recommend technological solutions for complex problems Essential
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend